Author Topic: Query re: Admon  (Read 324 times)

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Query re: Admon
« on: Tuesday 17 August 21 18:51 BST (UK) »
I have obtained a copy of the Letters of Administration- dated 1936 - for someone and having described the Widow/administrator, there is at the bottom of the page, "Extracted by......"  The name is given with an address in Grays Inn - partially indecipherable.

Is the person who extraced the information someone acting on behalf of the Court which granted the Admon, or is this possibly a solicitor who is acting on behalf of the Widow/Administrator?

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Query re: Admon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 19:04 BST (UK) »
I don't know what year this is but is this the same man in 1937?

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 19:16 BST (UK) »
It will be the solicitor
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 08:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know what year this is but is this the same man in 1937?

Yes, I think it is.  It was the address in Gray's Inn that made me think that it might be a solicitor acting on behalf of the Widow rather than someone in the Court system.

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 08:49 BST (UK) »
It will be the solicitor
Thank you Dawn, that is what I thought.

This is an intriguing case as I think the deceased lead a double life.  He appears to have had three children by another woman although his name does not appear on any of the birth certificates.  The Electoral Registers suggest he kept the woman in various flats in West London, until she and the three children appear in a house near to Heathrow - or Heston aerodrome as it then was. 

It is near impossible to prove a connection between the deceased and the other woman as he seems to have been careful to keep his name away from any paperwork, although I am hoping he decided to purchase this house rather than keep paying rent.  If it is who I think it was, he was wealthy so the cost of a modest house in West London would have been small change to him. 

The Middlesex Deeds Register at London Met uses vendors names rather than purchasers, so I've not been able to find anything using those names I have.  Given that this is the solicitor acting for the Widow means that the house may have been sold under his name rather than the owners - assuming that the deceased was in fact the owner. 

if that is not the case I've reached a dead end and won't be able to prove any connection.