Author Topic: Francis Hardy Family from...somewhere...  (Read 1371 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Hardy Family from...somewhere...
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 13:33 BST (UK) »
http://www.huntclub-ottawacanada.com/history/42-text.htm

Article above mentions Francis Hardy.

The area is quite familiar to me, as I travelled Hunt Club road for several years due to work.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 13:35 BST (UK) »
Good find, Josephine.  Bowesville was located in the area where the Ottawa airport is now found.  Still fairly rural, would have been farmland back in the day.

Thank you, Diana. Fingers crossed!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline smckeag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 14:11 BST (UK) »
You have:

- Francis Hardy (Jr.) born 1809 in Ireland, m. Jane Armstrong 1836 in Canada (edited to add: died 1899 in Canada); and
- Francis Hardy (Sr.) born 1780, m. Mary.

Have you found cemetery records for them?

Have you checked with church archives in Ottawa for any possible records pertaining to the family?

Regards,
Josephine

P.S. What do the census records say about their country of origin, year of immigration and religious denomination?

Hi!

All Canadian Censuses say they are from Ireland and from the Church of Ireland. But that's it.

Offline smckeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 14:14 BST (UK) »
http://www.huntclub-ottawacanada.com/history/42-text.htm

Article above mentions Francis Hardy.

The area is quite familiar to me, as I travelled Hunt Club road for several years due to work.

Hello!

Thank you for this....but I already found it haha I have everything and anything on the Hardys in Bowesville (even a book! LOL) - it's finding them in Ireland that I am struggling with. I've had some new information saying that Francis (senior) was married to Sarah Brown. But of course, I can't find anything on her either.

I am thinking that the Hardys went to Ireland from England as an English settler, and then one of them was in the military stationed in Templemore. But do you think I can find definitive proof of this? NO!!! LOL

But I so very much appreciate you taking the time to look for me! This has been a LONG journey - and it doesn't look like it's going to end any time soon! LOL Thank you!

Offline smckeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hold the presses! Where in Ottawa did they live? There's a big article in The Ottawa Citizen, 29 August 1938, about a big Hardy family reunion in Bowesville.

"On the site now occupied by Henry Hardy's modern brick residence stood the first homestead erected in 1830 by his grandfather, Francis Hardy, who came from Templemore, Tipperary, Ireland, with his wife and son, Francis Hardy, junior."

Is this your family?

Regards,
Josephine

HAHAHA YES IT IS!! I found that article shortly after I posted on here - it was the FIRST thing I found that gave me a definite of where they came from but.....still....nothing in Ireland :(

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 14:41 BST (UK) »
I am not sure now what you are trying to prove.  It seems well documented that Francis Sr. Was from Templemore, including info. on his death record found on ANC.
Are you missing something in between?
Is it The Irish connection you are stuck on?  Have you tried Protestant records?  On his death record Francis is stated as Methodist.
Of course Irish records are not the easiest to find. 

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hold the presses! Where in Ottawa did they live? There's a big article in The Ottawa Citizen, 29 August 1938, about a big Hardy family reunion in Bowesville.

"On the site now occupied by Henry Hardy's modern brick residence stood the first homestead erected in 1830 by his grandfather, Francis Hardy, who came from Templemore, Tipperary, Ireland, with his wife and son, Francis Hardy, junior."

Is this your family?

Regards,
Josephine

HAHAHA YES IT IS!! I found that article shortly after I posted on here - it was the FIRST thing I found that gave me a definite of where they came from but.....still....nothing in Ireland :(

It might be a good idea to update your original post (with a notation to say that you've updated it). That way, people don't spend time looking for and posting stuff you've already got.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 14:47 BST (UK) »
Thought I might just mention DNA testing.  It might sort something out for you.

Offline smckeag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 15:19 BST (UK) »
I am not sure now what you are trying to prove.  It seems well documented that Francis Sr. Was from Templemore, including info. on his death record found on ANC.
Are you missing something in between?
Is it The Irish connection you are stuck on?  Have you tried Protestant records?  On his death record Francis is stated as Methodist.
Of course Irish records are not the easiest to find.

I apologize - I posted my question back in August and hadn't received any replies so I just kept plugging along figuring this post would get lost in the shuffle.

I'm stuck on getting past Francis Senior. I have gotten as far back as the 1400s with other family members and I want to continue with the Hardys for as long as I can but because I'm not able to find actual records for Francis Senior in Ireland, I can't link him to anyone. I have found many, many Francis Hardys in Ireland and England, but there is always a piece or two of information that doesn't match, so I hesitate to link them.

Essentially, what I'm looking for now is PROOF of Francis and Sarah (or Mary) in Ireland so I can find his parents and keep going down the line....

I have tried many, many protestant parish records, but since I don't know - for sure - which parish they were a part of, I can't know for sure if it's him or not. If there weren't so many Francis Hardys, I'd be able to confidently link one to my family, but there are SO MANY in Ireland and England in the 1700s. It's overwhelming and very discouraging.