Author Topic: Michael Power, born Barony, Scotland C1828-30  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Power, born Barony, Scotland C1828-30
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 19:44 BST (UK) »

Hi,

This doesn't help with his birth but is another snippet of info.

The burial found by Neale1961 shows that Michael POWER died on the 16th January 1874 of consumption. His Quality, Trade or Profession &c shows him as Commissariat Staff Sergeant. This matches his occupation at Agnes Margaret's baptism.  :)

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Poppy180

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 15:26 BST (UK) »
Good day All
I had no idea so many people had posted replies, so apologies for not responding, I am grateful for any suggestions, as up till recently I had so little to go on.

The Death of Michael Power in Madras 16 Jan 1874 is I believe correct, and Mary Ann nee Carroll died in Madras September 1906.

I am aware of the baptism 21 Sept 1830 in Waterford, Tramore, parents Michael and Maria nee Connolly, Power.  However, I query whether in 1830 a family who appear to live in Lanarkshire, would travel 'home' to Waterford just for a Baptism. Happy to be proved wrong!  Michael's attestation in October 1853 puts him back in the UK.  His civilian occupation was a Baker! I have tried looking at passenger lists but have been unable to find a Power family travelling anywhere that fits the bill.

It is a big leap to accept the Michael & Maria baptism as correct with nothing else to back it up, so I suspect I need to do some research on Michael & Maria to see if anything tallies with what I know of Gt Gdfather Michael.

Thank you all of you for your suggestions.  Poppy

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can you tell us where you have found Michael's attestation, I can't find it anywhere. Where was he in 1853?

Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Poppy180

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy, honest answer is I didn't find it!!

Had to pay a researcher who found the record in British Library IOR/L/MIL/11/106 Date of Attestation  & Enlistment 17 Oct 1853.  Soldier 4363.

Poppy

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 17:18 BST (UK) »
It is always helpful to consider, too, that many children may only have known where they lived/were brought up and assumed that was where they were born.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .