Author Topic: Brosnan Family  (Read 623 times)

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brosnan Family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 August 21 23:53 BST (UK) »

https://swilson.info has lists of townlands, civil and ecclesiastical parishes, registration districts, with finding aids for each.

S. Wilson's Townland Explorer on his Townland Database shows Ballybeg is 708 acres.

IrelandXO Insight "What is a Townland?"
https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/news/irelandxo-insight-what-townland
"What is a Parish?" on same website explains civil and ecclesiastical parishes. https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/news/what-parish

P.S. If you were researching English ancestors in past centuries you might have found some of them in townships. They weren't towns either. They were divisions of land in a civil parish. Some townships contained a town, some contained a village or hamlet (a hamlet is smaller than a village) or several hamlets, some, like the one I was born in, consisted mainly of farms and cottages + wild common land with uncertain boundaries. 
Cowban

Online Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 August 21 00:50 BST (UK) »

I plan to keep searching for Thomas Brosnans birth record in Kerry and hopefully that will bring me to the name of Patrick's wife.

Thomas was "full age" when he married in 1868. That meant he was 21 or over. The latest year he could have been born was 1847. Civil registrations of births began in Ireland 1864. You need to look for a baptism for him.
A witness to the wedding was a Patrick Brosnahan. He may have been father, brother or cousin of Thomas. On the other hand the shared surname may have been a coincidence.
Have you found Thomas on a census? Treat age on a census as a rough estimate.
Cowban

Offline CULLEN93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 August 21 01:10 BST (UK) »
Thats interesting you said witness to the wedding. The document I saw on family search said fathers of groom and bride were Patrick and Michael. I also assumed because he named his son Patrick who was born around 1869 that he did so after his father.

I'll keep trying to find more on Thomas though :):)

Offline CULLEN93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 August 21 02:22 BST (UK) »
I found one Thomas Brosnan born 1834 in Boherbue, Cork to a Patrick Brosnan and Mary Sheehan. I glanced over it at first because it wasn't Kerry but there are Brosnans in Cork as well and Boherbue is just below County Kerry. There are no other Thomas Brosnans born to a Patrick that I can find right now.