Author Topic: Brosnan Family  (Read 930 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brosnan Family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 August 21 21:10 BST (UK) »
That marriage record is the same - many Brosnans.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CULLEN93

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 August 21 21:12 BST (UK) »
Yeah thats the problem with trying to find Patrick - unlike other Irish surnames that are scattered across regions - Brosnan is pretty much entirely County Kerry. I was told once by a British Isles genealogist that the southwest part while mostly rural was the least effected by the loss of records and that it would be easier to go back generations there than elsewhere but I don't see how lol.
Not sure how many churches there were back then in places like ballybeg.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 August 21 21:26 BST (UK) »
I found my 2x great grandmother Margaret Brosnan baptized August 13th 1876 someone found in currow village in the Parish of Kileentierna which lists parents Tim Brosnan and Maria Doody who i think are Thomas Brosnan and Ellen Dowd. Patrick would be Thomas father but I'm not sure how far the family goes back in that particular village.

I'm confused. Where did you get the name Margaret from? Which records has parents Tim Brosnan and Maria Doody?

I was always told her full name was Mary Josephine and Molly as a nickname. I haven't heard Margaret but I assumed it was her because I know some of her siblings names were Patrick, Ellen, Johanna and Bridget. Maybe that other person wasn't her and they just had similar names? I've never seen the document you just posted but the names match completely.

Ancestry.com/boards/surnames.brosnan/205 made me think that was her but Maria as the mother came out of nowhere lol.

Those are all very common forenames. Similar sets of forenames may have been used by different branches of a family in the same place or by unrelated families with the same surname. Certain forenames were popular in a county or province.   
Cowban

Offline CULLEN93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 August 21 21:48 BST (UK) »
Yeah I guess I just assumed it was her because the names and years of the siblings seemed to match census records I saw but ellen and johanna are also extremely common names.
As far as I know Molly came to the U.S. and married John Price and Ellen her sister(Nellie) married a  James P Corcoran - she was born around 1879. I found her on family search.

On family search I found a Bridget Brosnan born 1874 in molahiffe to Thomas and Ellen Doody. And a older brother Patrick Brosnahin born February 1869 - he was christened in molahiffe.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 August 21 22:25 BST (UK) »

I found my 2x great grandmother Margaret Brosnan baptized August 13th 1876 someone found in currow village in the Parish of Kileentierna which lists parents Tim Brosnan and Maria Doody who i think are Thomas Brosnan and Ellen Dowd. Patrick would be Thomas father but I'm not sure how far the family goes back in that particular village.

I'm confused. Where did you get the name Margaret from? Which records has parents Tim Brosnan and Maria Doody?

This is Margaret Brosnan with parents Thomas Brosnan & Mary (Doody)
Same parish. 1st Feb. 1874. Address Ballybeg. Parents Thomas Brosnan & Mary Doody. Sponsor Margaret Brosnan.
Source: Church Records section of Irish Genealogy.ie. It's the same website as registration of births, marriages and deaths. Select Church Records tab. Information at right-hand side of Church Records Home page has information about coverage under "What church records are available online?", "Current list of available parishes". Selecting the latter will lead you to a list of parishes in Kerry diocese with dates of registers. Kerry R.C. Diocese registers were among the first to be added to the website.

Another Margaret Brosnan baptism in same parish:
8th September 1878. Address Ballybeg. Parents Timothy Brosnan & Deborah Griffin.

There were other Margaret Brosnan baptisms in the parish during the years I searched, decades 1860s & 1870s. Some had address Currow. There were also Margaret Brosnan baptisms in nearby parishes.

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

The information you gave seems to have been a mixture from baptisms of 3 different girls in a parish.
You need to be certain about identity of a person before you try to go back a further generation.
Cowban

Offline CULLEN93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 August 21 22:52 BST (UK) »
Yeah the woman who is my 2x great grandmother and died in Boston is always Mary J never Margaret. The names of her parents she consistently wrote her parents as Thomas and Ellen Dowd/Doody.

So the Margaret brosnans with the mother listed as Maria couldn't have been my family,

Family search shows the births and baptisms of Patrick, Mary, Ellen and Bridget and they all have the same parents Thomas and Ellen. Thomas and Ellen on the marriage record write their homes as Bellybeg and marriage in Molahiffe. Those 2 places are about 10 min apart so it has to the same family.

Its possible the father of Thomas, Patrick, was from another part of Kerry not ballybeg.

I plan to keep searching for Thomas Brosnans birth record in Kerry and hopefully that will bring me to the name of Patrick's wife.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 August 21 23:31 BST (UK) »

Family search shows the births and baptisms of Patrick, Mary, Ellen and Bridget and they all have the same parents Thomas and Ellen. Thomas and Ellen on the marriage record write their homes as Bellybeg and marriage in Molahiffe. Those 2 places are about 10 min apart so it has to the same family.

Its possible the father of Thomas, Patrick, was from another part of Kerry not ballybeg.

I plan to keep searching for Thomas Brosnans birth record in Kerry and hopefully that will bring me to the name of Patrick's wife.

If you look at the marriage register for Thomas and Ellen, their residence was Ballybeg.
They were married at the chapel of Currans - https://www.dioceseofkerry.ie/parish/killeentierna/
In the Registrar's district of Molahiffe -  https://www.rootschat.com/links/01quw/

Sometimes Irish records can be confusing with townland, civil parish, catholic parish and registrars district  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 August 21 23:38 BST (UK) »

Ballybeg was their townland. A townland is the smallest land division. There are usually several townlands in a civil parish. 
Molahiffe is the local registration district for Ballybeg for births, marriages and deaths. A record of their marriage was sent to the Molahiffe registrar.  Molahiffe is in Killarney Superintendent Registrar's District. It was also known as Killarney Union, being a union of several civil parishes. It provided poor relief and operated workhouses for poor and sick.
A civil parish isn't the same as a Catholic parish. A civil parish was the smallest unit of local government.
https://swilson.info has lists of townlands, civil and ecclesiastical parishes, registration districts, with finding aids for each.
Heywood has been explaining the same thing.
Cowban

Offline CULLEN93

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 August 21 23:47 BST (UK) »
Lol thanks for that. Here I am thinking that they got married in a completely different town to the one they lived in. So I'm just gonna assume that all the Brosnans I descend from lived around bellybeg and its neighboring towns until I find something that says otherwise  ;)