Author Topic: Officer of Leather?  (Read 959 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Officer of Leather?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 August 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
I suspect he will have been an Excise Officer, collecting the duty due on leather goods.

I think Bookbox is probably right
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 August 21 15:25 BST (UK) »
I suspect he will have been an Excise Officer, collecting the duty due on leather goods.

I think Bookbox is probably right

That makes sense.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 August 21 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hides and Skins Repeal Bill 1824 to repeal the leather tax. According to the debate reported in Hansard, the tax had been imposed during the reign of Queen Anne (died 1714) although reasons for it originated in reigns of Richard 2nd and James 1st. Arguments for repeal included: cost was 3x revenue; made shoes and harness dearer; detrimental to Ireland.

A brother of my 3xGGF in Lancashire married a daughter of a deceased saddler from Yorkshire/Durham border in 1820. A cousin of 3xGGF was a saddler's apprentice at the time. A shoemaker friend of theirs in the same Lancashire town had married the elder daughter of the saddler 4 years earlier. Looking into the saddlers' daughters origins after being contacted by a descendant in U.S., I learned that a town in Yorkshire was the venue of an important leather market. Can't remember which town.   
Cowban

Offline gingerbit

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 August 21 18:28 BST (UK) »
Just to throw a spanner in the works I have an ancestor whose occupation on one census was 'Leather Currer' and on the next census it made more sense when his occupation was given as a 'Letter Courier'  ;D ;D
Smith, Oliver, Macrae, Laughland, Bower, Greer, Wylie, Forrest, Eddie, McCallum.  All Scotland

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 August 21 19:02 BST (UK) »
Reply #12 gingerbit.
The debate the Hide and Skins Repeal Bill in Parliament mentioned curriers.
Also this old RootsChat topic "Occupation Currier"
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=399605.0
Cowban

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 August 21 20:00 BST (UK) »
Check out via google books Edward Wingates of Grays Inn 1704's "An exact abridgement of all the statutes in force etc.." (It's a rather lengthy title)
See Cordwainers, Curriers - pages 92 onwards.

Offline Bradwell77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 August 21 10:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks guys. An interesting topic.

Cannot locate the google books Grays Inn publication - will keep trying. Came across this though, a paper the leather industry which confirms the newly created leather excise was still around - and unloved - in 1716. Also it appears Thorne in Yorkshire had a thriving tanning industry - see accounts of the Steers family which go back to Richard II.

https://www.bahs.org.uk/AGHR/ARTICLES/14n1a2.pdf
Bucks - Cadd, Howell, Ellard, Bennett, Smith (Hillesden, P Bissett), Mason (Edgcott)
Cheshire - Buckwright, Brearly (Stockport)
Lancs - Hall (Oldham)
Lincs - Jackson (Epworth), Foster, Jeffrey, Lincoln, Harley, Eastgate (Bennington) Maddison, Douthwaite, Dobbs & King (Caistor), Hill (Thornton)
Essex - Wright (Wigboroughs), Demmond & Rich (Layer Haye), Harrington (Grt Baddow), Tuley, Crosby, Horsnail, Keeling (Hanningfields & Woodhams)
Warwks - Claydon, Hewens & Arnold, (Tysoe)
Ireland- King Mayo

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 August 21 12:39 BST (UK) »
Many thanks guys. An interesting topic.

Cannot locate the google books Grays Inn publication - will keep trying. Came across this though, a paper the leather industry which confirms the newly created leather excise was still around - and unloved - in 1716. Also it appears Thorne in Yorkshire had a thriving tanning industry - see accounts of the Steers family which go back to Richard II.

https://www.bahs.org.uk/AGHR/ARTICLES/14n1a2.pdf

Steers is a very apt name for their occupation or breeding and raising young male calves before selling them on :-

"Steer, also called bullock, young neutered male cattle primarily raised for beef. In the terminology used to describe the sex and age of cattle, the male is first a bull calf and if left intact becomes a bull; if castrated he becomes a steer and about two or three years grows to an ox."
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 August 21 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Agree this is an officer collecting Taxes, there is a mention of such a position in The History of Hailshsm, although gives no details of this position

https://www.forgottenbooks.com/en/download/The_History_of_the_Parish_of_Hailsham_1000707107.pdf

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.