Author Topic: Mills located near Kirkconnel 1800s  (Read 2853 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mills located near Kirkconnel 1800s
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 August 21 22:11 BST (UK) »
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 August 21 22:21 BST (UK) »
Useful details, Don. So, from these burials, we have approximate birth years of:

Peter 1793 - died aged 53 in 1846

Martha 1807 - died aged 37 in 1844

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 August 21 01:08 BST (UK) »
These are the ones I looked at earlier today.  A strong maybe for Martha if she fibbed about her year of birth.  As if that has never happened before.

RUTHERFORD PETER
JOHN RUTHERFORD/ELIZABETH ANDERSON
Bapt. 06/03/1796
Cleish

HENDERSON MARTHA
THOMAS HENDERSON/HANNAH ALLAN
Bapt. 04/09/1800
Cleish

Don

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 August 21 09:31 BST (UK) »
Beware: there is a marriage of a Martha Henderson to a George Lessels in Cleish in 1819.

George Lessels and Martha Henderson had six recorded children between 1819 and 1829, all baptised in Fife, and including Thomas, baptised 1821, and Allan, baptised 1827, so it looks very probable that this is the one baptised in Cleish in 1800.

In 1855 there was a birth of a Martha Henderson Lessels in Fife, daughter of Thomas Lessels, 33 born Cleish. Looks like Martha's granddaughter.

In the 1851 census George Lessels, auctioneer, and wife Matilda Anderson, 50, born Cleish, are in Newburgh, Fife, with six more children, all born in Fife, none of whose baptism records seem to have survived.

Martha Henderson or Lessels, widow of George Lessels, auctioneer, daughter of Thomas Henderson and Hannah Campbell, died in Newburgh in 1868 aged 67.

So it looks as if the Martha Henderson born in Cleish in 1800 cannot be the one who married Peter Rutherford and emigrated to Canada.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 August 21 12:23 BST (UK) »
Good work as always Forfarian, so the question is which is the right one or is she one of the missing, lost or not baptised.

Don

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 August 21 15:07 BST (UK) »
Given that there are only two baptisms of Martha Hendersons with father named Thomas, and the other was baptised in 1793 so would have been 40 when Martha Henderson married Peter Rutherford, I reckon she has to be one of the ones missing from the surviving records.

Also, there is no obvious candidate to be Martha's father in the 1841 census in Midlothian (FreeCEN transcription).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 23 August 21 17:17 BST (UK) »
I think there are a couple of early census entries that could fit for Martha's father, Thomas.

In 1841, showing as a Cabinet Maker which fits well with the more general description of Wright www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a151f28f4040b9d6e2b83bb/thos-henderson-1841-midlothian-st-cuthbert-s-1781-?locale=en I am wondering if he is onto a second marriage?

1851 for this family www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5903d963e9379091b1fea8ec/thomas-henderson-1851-midlothian-st-cuthbert-s-1781-?locale=en

I thought the above entries could fit for Martha's father, likely on a second marriage?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 23 August 21 18:40 BST (UK) »
There is a "wright" spouse Margaret Anderson who died in 1824 (Haddington) his business was in Edinburgh.  Lots of children but no Martha. (Wills & Testaments)

The Post office directories which are available for this timeline have a couple of "wrights" and even a Miss Henderson on Nicholson making straw hats.  Peter...only a stocking maker is present so the "mason" could be with parents or visiting aliens.

Don

Offline janebell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 August 21 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the prompt reply!
I have now learned that Peter Rutherford born in Redgorton was NOT at a mill at Kirkconnel. But he did marry Martha Henderson in 1833, St. Cuthbert's, Midlothian. (LDS Family Search web). He and Martha emigrated to Canada.
Listed as Stone mason (Toronto Directory 1837)

Birth of son John Feb. 9, 1839 Toronto -John
Peter died circa 1846.
Martha died in 1844.
Need to know when and how Peter met Martha. Peter - from Redgorton, Perth and Martha from Kirkconnel(l)  Dumfriesshire.