Author Topic: Fordes' from Buittle, Kirkcudbright  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fordes' from Buittle, Kirkcudbright
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 August 21 16:09 BST (UK) »
in the 1861 census Sarah McKnight has three children with her. She is with her sister-in-law. Her husband is a sea captain (not on census) so I assume away at sea.
These are the birth records for those children on the census, available from Scotlands People

MCKNIGHT, MARY RIGG
F 1855
859/ 9
Buittle

MCKNIGHT, ANNIE NEILSON
F 1857
859/ 33
Buittle

MCKNIGHT, WILLIAM CANDLIS
M 1859
859/ 29
Buittle
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 August 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
It looks as if that Sarah was not FORDE, but really Sarah CANDLISH. You might need to check that you are looking at the correct person.?? :)

Marriage Date:   26 Oct 1853
Marriage Place:   Buittle,Kirkcudbright,Scotland
Jane Candlish and James Mc Knight

Jane Candlish
Baptism Date:   04 Nov 1836
Baptism Place:   , Buittle, Kirkcudbright, Scotland
Father:   William Candlish
Mother:   Mary Rigg
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline IrishAussie16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 August 21 17:28 BST (UK) »
The children of Sarah and John.  What are the given names of their children born in Scotland.

Many of the earlier statutory births also have the date and sometimes place of the parents marriage.

Don

The 3 children born in Buittle were named Mary, Anne and William. I don't know if they have any middle names, it is possible. One of their younger sons was named David Forde McKnight. Although I see that Neale has shared the full names of the 3 children born in Buittle and their middle names are candlis (could that be candlish as another person suggested?), rigg and neilson. These all sound like last names. Would they be all from Sarah's side?
Yourell, McComiskey, Collins, Dawson, Ashton, McKnight, Bilsborough, Riethmuller

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 August 21 18:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think you have the wrong family. 

Mary Rigg was the daughter of James a Mariner of 20 years and Jane Candlish.  Witness to this birth was Mary Candlish, Grandmother.  James/Jane were married 1853 in Palnackie which was a village and small harbour in Buittle.  They also had one son dead but no name given.  Perhaps this is David.

Same for William.

Their marriage is online and likely at familysearch.org as well.

The above is from here https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 August 21 18:52 BST (UK) »
Here’s the McKnight – Forde marriage in 1861, in Belleeks Church of Ireland:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1861/09616/5487379.pdf

I notice from the certificate that John’s father was William McKnight, not Edward (which on a different post relating to the McKnight family you have said was his name). You might be researching the wrong McKnight family.
Elwyn

Offline IrishAussie16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 03:21 BST (UK) »
Well that is a little disappointing too say the least  :(  But I do have the right couple? John McKnight and Sarah Jane Forde?

So I can see on the marriage record both of their father's are named William, both occupations are farmers. I can't read their residence at the time, although William Forde's looks like it could be a Scottish name someone suggested before?
Can anyone read their condition and rank/position and the fathers locations?

So does that mean the Edward McKnight and Thirza Maze I had, are not part of my family tree? They didn't have any dates attached to them, maybe they could be further back?

Sarah Jane Forde is still from Buittle, Kirkcudbright, but were her first 3 children born there or Ireland? Are they the correct names just with the wrong birth location? As the oldest boy is supposed to be my direct ancestor...

I am so confused now  ??? :(
Yourell, McComiskey, Collins, Dawson, Ashton, McKnight, Bilsborough, Riethmuller

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 04:35 BST (UK) »
Why do you think Sarah Jane Forde was from Scotland? What document gives you that info?

When Sarah and John married they were both school teachers- so likely they met through their work. He was a bachelor and she was a spinster. Both fathers were farmers.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 07:56 BST (UK) »
When Sarah and John married they were both school teachers- so likely they met through their work. He was a bachelor and she was a spinster. Both fathers were farmers.

Neale is correct - John was a schoolmaster, Jane was a schoolmistress.
She was living in the townland of Drumnahuncheon (sic) - see Gadget's reply #6

John was living in the townland of Caragologly (sic) - Carrickgallogly
https://www.townlands.ie/armagh/fews-lower/loughgilly-lower-fews-portion/belleek/carrickgallogly/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 09:48 BST (UK) »
Well that is a little disappointing too say the least  :(  But I do have the right couple? John McKnight and Sarah Jane Forde?

So I can see on the marriage record both of their father's are named William, both occupations are farmers. I can't read their residence at the time, although William Forde's looks like it could be a Scottish name someone suggested before?
Can anyone read their condition and rank/position and the fathers locations?

So does that mean the Edward McKnight and Thirza Maze I had, are not part of my family tree? They didn't have any dates attached to them, maybe they could be further back?

Sarah Jane Forde is still from Buittle, Kirkcudbright, but were her first 3 children born there or Ireland? Are they the correct names just with the wrong birth location? As the oldest boy is supposed to be my direct ancestor...

I am so confused now  ??? :(

Both the addresses on the 1861 marriage certificates are in Co Armagh and local to where the couple were living. Some place names in Ireland may sound Scottish, or vice versa, but that’s because they are often anglicised versions of the original gaelic which both countries used. For example, the word Drum, as in Drumnahuncheon, means “a ridge” in both Ireland and Scotland.  Both countries have many place names starting with Drum.

You ask whether Edward McKnight & Thirza Maze are part of your family. I don’t know.  I don’t have your research, and so don’t know the sources or reliability of the information. All I was really doing is pointing out that in the McKnight post you had said that John who married Sarah had a father named Edward. And you had also said the couple lived in Kirkcudbright for a while before returning to Ireland. I think there’s something wrong because the 1861 marriage John had a father named William, not Edward. 

Edward & Thirza might be right but in that case the 1861 John who married Sarah isn’t their son. Alternatively the 1861 John is your family but your tree contains the wrong parents for him.  You would need to talk us through your sources so we can evaluate it all.

If I can add a little more information to the pot, the teacher couple who married in 1861 in Armagh appear to have stayed there, till 1876 at least.  I can see 6 children born there between 1865 and 1876. Here’s one in 1865:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1865/03556/2309580.pdf

And here’s one 1876:

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1876/03061/2122305.pdf

Occupation schoolmaster all that time, plus schoolmaster & farmer in 1876.

There have been many waves of migration to and from Ireland over the years and the population of Scotland and that of the Ulster counties often share the same surnames. Plenty of McKnights and Fordes in both locations.  These are common names and I suspect different, unconnected, families may be mixed up in this particular line of enquiry.
Elwyn