Author Topic: Diary > Summary- Week ending 29th August 2021  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Summary- Week ending 29th August 2021
« on: Monday 23 August 21 13:35 BST (UK) »
The start of a new week, people seem to be getting out and about more and travelling further. Reports show a slight increase in the number of Covid infections in the UK but the vaccination programme is still progressing well with 16 and 17 year olds now being vaccinated.
Not much new for me personally, I still haven't regained my sense of taste and smell more than five weeks later although I have had slight fleeting smells and a little taste. Unfortunately they haven't lasted but I am hoping that my body is working on it.

Hope it's a good week coming up and that there is better news for Rootschatters in  NZ and Oz and in Canada.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary- Week ending 29th August 2021
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 August 21 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Roobarb and fellow root chatters. Good to hear you are recovering Roobarb. As for your sense of smell and taste, well a friend of mine who had covid back in November last year said it took 3 months for her senses to fully recover, so take heart. I'm, sure you will get there. Everybody does seem to be out and about more which is good. I, for one has always been the type of 'life is living' kind of person and have been fully out there, though I fully understand that people are still anxious.
I took Bob the dog for a walk tonight and stopped off at the village pub for a drink in the sunshine. Lots of locals enjoying the lovely evening sunshine, a glass of wine, a chat with others, took my eye off bob, realised he was missing so went inside, no sign of him. A couple who I had never seen before were enjoying a meal, I asked them have you seen a little westie. Yes, they replied, he's here. Little bugger was under their table enjoying titbits! Take care all

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 12:01 BST (UK) »
Oh heck Jo, your poor friend must have been fed up after all that time, I really hope it doesn’t take that long for me. Haven't had a drink for a long time now, will be looking forward to my first glass of wine when I can taste it!
Thank goodness Bob was okay and enjoying his pub meal.  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 23:46 BST (UK) »
I hope those unwell are feeling a little better and improving.

My back decided yesterday that I needed a reminder of past back trouble, I can walk, but cannot sit, so lying down flat instead of sitting.

Still drinking a lot of water day and night. I sometimes think the nausea most days, might be my immune system still reacting, because for over 30 years I got the same whilst mowing the grass once a week and the nausea usually disappears later in the day after mowing.

The GP has linked my nausea to my inflammation and rash etc (inflammatory response / immune system reaction) I had in March last year.

My Granddaughter looks to have had an adventurous time with her Dad in the Lakes, hill walking and camping.

Good night, look after yourselves, Mark

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 21 10:33 BST (UK) »
Back home now, lots of assistance at stations and met by son at Bury.
Lots to tell, a lovely day at IWM RAF Duxford.
The icing on the cake was watching  a flight by a Spitfire ,whew, what manoeuvres !
Looping the loop ,ascents and breathtaking swoops down.
We were gobsmacked and little FH enthralled.
Up in the bright sunshine and you couldn’t help but think of the days all those years ago when over the countryside in that area a battle was taking place which directly affected the future of our country.
It was very emotional just watching one lone Spitfire .
FH was so good and we kept his interest .
I was thrilled to see close up a Lancaster , my Dad was in the assembly line at Avro’s where the RollsRoyce Merlin Engines were assembled ,there were four in a Lancaster.
Flash Harry was very interested.
His Grandad is doing a flight shortly for his sixtieth birthday ,a gift from his employees and family .
Nice to be home ,but plants need a drink.
Had nice chat with neighbour.
She has been OK.
A bit of shopping today and pick up my prescriptions ,normally delivered but the chemist did it early, so of course I was not here !
Nice sunny weather.
Water plants then off to Ramsbottom .
Hope everyone is well and those who have been ill improving .
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 21 10:50 BST (UK) »
Pleased to hear you had a good journey Viktoria, good to hear about your adventures. There's something about watching those old RAF planes that touches the heart isn't there?

Sorry to hear about your back troubles Mark, I hope it's improved now and you're managing to sit comfortably.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 August 21 14:11 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Mowsehowse spotted any of these folks  :)

BBC News - The English Riviera during the 2021 UK staycation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-58319665
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 August 21 20:05 BST (UK) »
Yes Mark, my son in law, has a lot of back trouble and  I too for a long time but exercises  and  a back brace eventually sorted me out.
No pain quite like it , sitting for me was more comfortable but only because my spine opened slightly to relieve the pressure on two ruptured discs .
The way I was hauled about and wedged with huge sponge blocks ready for a scan or something must have got them back in place as I started to recover slowly but surely after that.
 Otherwise  they were going to be removed.
Must watch how I bend or lift etc but it does pretty well.
I hope you soon feel more comfortable.
I had to roll a big bath towel tightly and lie on it ,waist level,  and it really did help but not knowing exactly your problem I am not advising you do the same
Cheerio, Viktoria.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 August 21 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb, how are you and your recovery?

Viktoria, sounds great that trip to Duxford IWM. My children and I have been to the Duxford Museum.

My back is much improved with rest, I hoped it wouldn't be too long, because it wasn't grabbing too badly this time :o and when buying a replacement bed I chose a comfortable one to lay in, which is also very supportive too :)

My back went once in NZ leaving me a bit hunch back and in agony. I had to go to a Doctor, who recommended a physiotherapist. I got great relief after the first session, she was absolutely brilliant with her hands!

All the best, Mark