Author Topic: Berry/Comer  (Read 927 times)

Offline CULLEN93

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Berry/Comer
« on: Monday 23 August 21 23:12 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know of a marriage between an Edward "Comer" and a Margaret Berry sometime in the early 1800s? They would have had a daughter named Margaret Comer who was born around 1848. The last name may be comber or coma?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Berry/Comer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 05:10 BST (UK) »

If you are researching the origins of this Margaret COMER -

FreeBDM    DecQ 1872  Liverpool    Vol 8b    page 466
CULLINANE John   marr. COMER Margaret

it would be better to continue with a new thread on the Lancashire board.  Use the resources....Ancestry Liverpool Catholic BDM....to construct a likely COMER family in Lancashire, the better to locate this family in Ireland.

This would complement your research on the Lancashire board for the CULLENS family.

You need to identify the source of the information that you are giving to a forum -

"... Edward "Comer" and a Margaret Berry sometime in the early 1800s"

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
"Cullen Family" thread.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=852209.msg7200519#msg7200519
This has a lot of information about the extended family in Liverpool + advice about follow-up research + recommended resources.

Use the resources....Ancestry Liverpool Catholic BDM....to construct a likely COMER family in Lancashire, the better to locate this family in Ireland.

This would complement your research on the Lancashire board for the CULLENS family.

You need to identify the source of the information that you are giving to a forum -

More good advice from wivenhoe.
Framing an enquiry as precisely as possible, stating what you know for certain and providing the source of information you're giving help to receive relevant replies. There are useful tips in the "Help" section, including "Getting the best from RootsChat". It helps us and saves time if you mention a related thread in your opening post.

A variant of Berry is Bury. RootsChat HQ is in the town of Bury, Lancashire.
Cowban

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 September 21 06:03 BST (UK) »
Cullen93, I have to ask you about your post. You are looking for a marriage in early 1800s yet say daughter Margaret born 1848? Are you sure? This would make mother older at time of Margaret birth.
I have come across a marriage in June qtr 1847 Bury, England of Margaret Berry & Edward Coomber(variant on Comer). I believe this is the one you seek. Funny tho in 1841,1851,1861 census nó Edward with daughter Margaret. Only one that seems to match your Edward is 1841 Edward Komar age 25.born 1812-1816 Ireland living in Wigan, Lancashire. Kim

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 September 21 13:00 BST (UK) »
Cullen93, I have to ask you about your post. You are looking for a marriage in early 1800s yet say daughter Margaret born 1848? Are you sure? This would make mother older at time of Margaret birth.
I have come across a marriage in June qtr 1847 Bury, England of Margaret Berry & Edward Coomber(variant on Comer). I believe this is the one you seek. Funny tho in 1841,1851,1861 census nó Edward with daughter Margaret. Only one that seems to match your Edward is 1841 Edward Komar age 25.born 1812-1816 Ireland living in Wigan, Lancashire. Kim

Perhaps "early 1800s" means the first half of 19th century.
The marriage in Bury was at St. Mary, the parish church. (Lancashire BMD marriages index)

31st May 1847 St. Mary the Virgin, Bury
Edward COOMBER (X) full age, bachelor, labourer, Bury
Margaret BERRY (X) full age, spinster, Bury
Fathers John Coomber, labourer, Thomas Berry, shoemaker
Witnesses Edward Rush, Mary Moran

1848 baptism of Alice with those parents at St. John the Baptist, Rochdale.
www.lan-opc.org.uk

Added. Alice is Alice COMER on transcription. Baptism 30th April. It says she was born 18th April. Godparents Michael Dillon, Catherine Rush. St. John the Baptist is a Catholic church.
www.lan-opc.org.uk/Rochdale/Rochdale/stjohn/index.html

So when was daughter Margaret born or was Alice known as Margaret?

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 September 21 13:24 BST (UK) »

So when was daughter Margaret born or was Alice known as Margaret?

I don't see a birth registration in 1848 for Alice or Margaret Comer or for a Comer female with Berry mother's maiden surname on GRO or Lancashire BMD births indexes. I tried Rochdale district and then all regions. 
Cowban