Author Topic: Final resting places for John and Christina Kerr, Wishaw Cambusnethan  (Read 1073 times)

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Final resting places for John and Christina Kerr, Wishaw Cambusnethan
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 September 21 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerrmain,

I would imagine that everyone mentioned on the stone is buried there. Usually if someone has died elsewhere that fact is included in the inscription. What I do find odd is there is no mention of the father. So, was he still alive when the inscription was made?
It looks as if the Mary Braidwood lettering was definitely added later so the stone and original inscription must date from 1839 or shortly after then. There are no records for the erection of stones unless there was something specific that warranted a mention in the kirk session records but all I could see was the entry for 16th Sept: 1835 for "W.Kerr" which was the charge of 4 shillings to have the use of the "second" mortcloth.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline kerrmain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Final resting places for John and Christina Kerr, Wishaw Cambusnethan
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 September 21 05:44 BST (UK) »
Once again Lodger, thank you very much for providing me with that information. Yes, I am at a loss as to what happened to John Kerr, the father.  If only there was an 1831 census then I'd have a lot more answers! On the 1841 census for the son John Kerr at age 25, he is unmarried and living with his mother who is listed as Mary Braidwood. On the following census 1851, the two of them again are still together but on this census she is listed as Mary Kerr, Widow and then her death was in 1854. The son, John, then married in 1856 at the age of 40 to Christina Strain who was 20 years of age. I am assuming from the monumental inscription, that there were only 4 children for Mary but when you look at their birth years 1802, 1804, 1816 and 1819 it makes one think that there should have been more children between 1804 and 1816 but these records seem to be non existent unfortunately. As far as the father John Kerr goes, the only record I have of him is his marriage in 1801 to Mary Braidwood and his name listed on George and Thomas's birth registrations.  I think I may have reached the end of the line with this family, at least for the time being, I must admit its hard to let go but you can't find what doesn't exist. Lodger its been a pleasure to make your acquaintance  :)