Author Topic: Investigations by BDM over delayed Registrations Victoria in 1890  (Read 504 times)

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Investigations by BDM over delayed Registrations Victoria in 1890
« on: Tuesday 24 August 21 07:52 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about Investigations   carried out  by  the BDM   Registry  in Victoria Australia.

If the records of those enquiries survive where would  they be .

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
Re: Investigations by BDM over delayed Registrations Victoria in 1890
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 11:58 BST (UK) »
I'm  not sure that I understand exactly what you mean, however the Registration of Births Deaths and Marriages Act of 1890 Victoria (http://classic.austlii.edu.au › vic › robdama1890394) did cause a bit of discussion in newspapers of the day. You can search trove eg:
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article196967929
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article241081400

If you are after a specific case, they are also sometimes reported in newspapers - I have seen some cases of false reporting, though none specifically of delayed reporting.

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 19:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Maddy.

The  " Infant life protection Act  "  was brought in as the   many new born babies were being found dead  or  being  handed around illegally as part of baby farming in the day .   

If a woman was single the birth had to be registered within 3 days  and  a few days extra  were given in the country where a   babies birth had to be reported to a Constable if no registering office was there if the mother was single .

I have already got the files on one birth that  was not reported  in Melb  in 1907 and the Nurse was charged  from a Private Hosp but it turns out   in court that the  mother lied to the Nurse and told her and the Dr she was Married so they were not compelled to to do anything when in fact she was single .

But this one was a bit different with different circumstances and prior to the Infant act  being   activated around the turn of the century in Vic .

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 20:06 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about Investigations   carried out  by  the BDM   Registry  in Victoria Australia.

If the records of those enquiries survive where would  they be .

1890 ... and where would any records be held now.

If it was a parliamentary enquiry then the Victorian Parliament's likely to have mention of it, including names of witnesses, in their historic Votes & Proceedings.     I dont  see a connection between the 1907 example you write about, ..... but I can assure you that Baby Farms were found in NSW and Qld too.  In the 1880s and 90s.  As Maddy suggested, there is plenty of coverage in the free to search newspapers via Trove.

Thanks so much Maddy.

The  " Infant life protection Act  "  was brought in as the   many new born babies were being found dead  or  being  handed around illegally as part of baby farming in the day .   

If a woman was single the birth had to be registered within 3 days  and  a few days extra  were given in the country where a   babies birth had to be reported to a Constable if no registering office was there if the mother was single .

I have already got the files on one birth that  was not reported  in Melb  in 1907 and the Nurse was charged  from a Private Hosp but it turns out   in court that the  mother lied to the Nurse and told her and the Dr she was Married so they were not compelled to to do anything when in fact she was single .

But this one was a bit different with different circumstances and prior to the Infant act  being   activated around the turn of the century in Vic .

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 21:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Majm

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 23:22 BST (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8629772  The Argus 22 December 1891.
NEGLECTING TO REGISTER A BIRTH
A woman named Janet Brodie was proceeded against at the Essendon court yesterday under the Registration of Births Deaths and Marriages Act, 1890, for neglecting to register the birth of her child.  The act procides that the birth must be registered within 60 days or otherwise the parents are liable to a penalty of £10.  After twelve months a child cannot be registered except when born at sea.
Mr A E Young, deputy registrar of births and deaths deposted to the defendant wanting to register the birth of her child which she acknowledged was over 18 months old.  Of course he declined to register the birth and had to report the matter with the result that the present proceedings were taken.  A man named W Stirling appeared on behalf of the defendant who he stated was unwell.  Mr explained that Mrs Brodie had requested him several times to register the child but he had neglected to do so.  A fine of 40s. was imposed to be recovered, in default of payment, by distress.

There is a birth registered giving place of birth as Essendon in 1891 with the surname BRODIE and with mother as Janet, no father’s name recorded.  There is also a birth for Cranbourne, in 1890, mother as Janet, no father’s name recorded.   It seems likely that one of those should be the delayed registration as detailed in that newspaper cutting.    There may well be remarks provided on the image of the registration by the registrar.

Re 1907 - The Infant Life Protection Act of 1907 amended the 1891 Act.  The 1907 Act commenced 31 December 1907.   http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/hist_act/ilpa1907232/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 23:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much  ;)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 00:33 BST (UK) »
https://aiatsis.gov.au/sites/default/files/docs/digitised_collections/remove/53561.pdf
…………………….  The occupier of every house or place in which an illegitimate child is born shall within three days of the birth of such child give notice … to the deputy registrar …. But if such house or place not be …. Within any city,… town or borough then such notice may be given either to the deputy registrar or the officer or constable in charge of police … within one week of the birth,  IF MOTHER IS THE OCCUPIER such notice may be given at any time within THREE WEEKS of the birth … 
(section 18 is across two pages, ).   Three weeks is of course only 21 days, so it is still an imposition on the mother for the BDM Act allows 60 days …. 

My ancient living relatives include several who are in lockdown at present and who follow RChat threads.  They include retired NSW BDM senior officers.     They are interested to learn if you are involved in a formal study of Baby Farming up and down the Eastern Seaboard pre federation. 

JM

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thankyou ,  no just interested as someone said they thought a late reg  in the family  triggered an investigation  and we were wondering how we would find that out