Author Topic: Where is this? #29 River scene  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Where is this? #29 River scene
« on: Tuesday 24 August 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
Today's challenge is a river scene.  It sort of reminds me of the river Wye at Symonds Yat (by the Old Ferrie Inn), but I don't think it is - or at least I can't manage to recreate that view.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this? #29 River scene
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 21:27 BST (UK) »
It somehow reminded me of Bodinnick, viewed from Fowey. But I think that is just wishful thinking: We used to go to Polruan on holiday when I was a kid. Oh, how I love that place... *sigh*

I found a pic of the view I was thinking of, but I don't think the buildings are right:

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qv6/

Photo No. 027964-01
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 21 13:42 BST (UK) »
Does nobody else have any suggestions?!  ::)

Come on, boys 'n girls!

Today's challenge is a river scene.  It sort of reminds me of the river Wye at Symonds Yat (by the Old Ferrie Inn), but I don't think it is - or at least I can't manage to recreate that view.

On Streetview there are (today) no houses on the opposite bank. I suppose they could have been demolished in the meantime, though.
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 August 21 16:48 BST (UK) »
The water looks very still, so any river would have to be wide and slow at that point. Or if it's an estuary, would high tide fit?

Based on the sun and shadows, I suspect the stretch of water runs roughly east-west, and we're looking across to the north bank. (Assuming this is the northern hemisphere - last time I used that caveat it turned out to be Argentina  ::) ;D)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 21 17:09 BST (UK) »
Somewhere where they prefer to own Volkswagens.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
A very distinctive chimney.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 August 21 20:27 BST (UK) »
Based on the sun and shadows, I suspect the stretch of water runs roughly east-west, and we're looking across to the north bank. (Assuming this is the northern hemisphere - last time I used that caveat it turned out to be Argentina  ::) ;D)

I have been waiting since Tuesday for this reply!  ;D I was so hoping you would write something about sun and shadows.  8)

Somewhere where they prefer to own Volkswagens.

I am no expert, but I thought it looked more like an old Tranny. But then I do have a weakness for old Trannies and love to imagine I see them in odd places.  :P

Zooming in towards the van on the far side, is there another van or a caravan in front of the house? I think I can see a caravan with towing hitch towards the camera.

A very distinctive chimney.

It certainly is.
I wondered if it could be something like a (fish-) smoking building.

But we still have very little to go on. I think it is going to come down to a chance recognition by someone who really knows the place. Let's not hold our breath...  But hope burns eternal!  :D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 August 21 21:02 BST (UK) »
It reminds me of the Helford River area in Cornwall.

add - Not quite the same but my connection is up and down at the moment  >:(

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipM5X8XzTACPBuZwkcR9oA_ZEnT-gKyFeJZmKht-=w408-h262-k-no
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 August 21 21:22 BST (UK) »
It reminds me of Cornwall too, but I'm certain that it is not the Bodinnick ferry crossing and not Durgan (Gadget's picture) - the Helford is way too wide at that point.  I wondered about further upriver near Gweek, but can't find any buildings that are similar.

The Tamar is another possibility.

Is there any possible date for the photo?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk