Author Topic: John Garbutt  (Read 742 times)

Offline RICHIE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Garbutt
« on: Tuesday 24 August 21 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
I hope I'm in the right place but I'm hoping someone can help with regards to John Garbutt born circa 1500 in Bilsdale Midcable Yorkshire . He was married to Elizabeth and had a son Thomas Garbutt born circa 1520 also in Bilsdale and also married to an Elizabeth. I feel I have hit the end of the line with regards to this family but if possible I would love to progress further.
regards
Richie

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Garbutt
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 19:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry I cannot help with your search but would like to ask if you have come across a John Garbutt of Hallgarth in the 1700s?  Son William 1794.  That is my husband's line, all Bilsdale, Carlton, Stokesley. Many of them stone masons.

Ceeoh

Offline RICHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 19:34 BST (UK) »
There is a record on Familysearch

William Garbutt  20 April 1794 Ryton Durham
father John Garbutt
Mother Ann Bowey

This may or may not be them as John and Ann were married in shortley Northumberland

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 September 21 18:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Richie,
I doubt there will be a connection, our Garbutt has been extensively researched incorporating the female lines, and no-one left or married out of the Bilsdale Carlton Faceby area as far as I can ascertain, until great grandad Hindson Garbutt, who moved to Summerhouse Square, Norton, sometime between his marriage 1887 and the 1891 census.

Thank you for your reply, I'll have a look at it - just in case!!

Ceeoh

Offline snowqueen

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 17:49 BST (UK) »
Is that the Thomas Garbutt who died 1594?  Are you sure his father was John as there were several.

Lyn

Offline PER

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 22:35 BST (UK) »
Very well done getting so far back, as you have said you have probably reached the final brick wall with this line. But... have you rang/e-mailed North Yorkshire archives, to ask if they hold the Manoral records for Bilsdale and what language they are in, can they be viewed? or even checked or if the national archives might have them. Also might be worth seeing if there are any diary's remaining in the archives belonging to the lords of the manor. Happy searching and good luck
Check out my surname interests, locations and gedmatch ref at - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Round-218 covering most county's in England; also Nova Scotia, Canada and Switzerland.