Author Topic: John CHILD b. 1792 Yorkshire, 2nd Life Guards, seeking records  (Read 861 times)

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John CHILD b. 1792 Yorkshire, 2nd Life Guards, seeking records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
Other possibility.

John Child, age 50, St Marlebone Workhouse

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQJX-8HG

guest259648

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
Possible?

1841 Exeter Street, St Marylebone
John Child 45 Painter(?) - Not born in County
Elizabeth Child 45 - Not born in County

Jomot
Thank you
I've found the original, I think it does say Painter, yes...
Where is/was Exeter Street Marylebone? Is it anywhere near the Boston Street on the burial record?
D

guest259648

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
Other possibility.

Kloumann, well spotted...
The age here (50, I think?) is closer to what's needed than the married John Child (45 + Elizabeth).

Elsewhere I've found an account which says this John was 'deaf' when he came out of the Life Guards and couldn't walk - so he doesn't sound particularly fit for work, does he.

Again I can't view Family Search, so I'll see if I can find this on the 1841 via Ancestry, to see if he was born in county or not...

D

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 17:50 BST (UK) »
Other possibility.

Kloumann, well spotted...
The age here (50, I think?) is closer to what's needed than the married John Child (45 + Elizabeth).

Elsewhere I've found an account which says this John was 'deaf' when he came out of the Life Guards and couldn't walk - so he doesn't sound particularly fit for work, does he.

Again I can't view Family Search, so I'll see if I can find this on the 1841 via Ancestry, to see if he was born in county or not...

D

Yes, he was born in County.  Also don't forget that ages were supposed to be rounded in 1841.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 17:59 BST (UK) »
There is a 3rd John, born 1792, at Parsons Green Lane, Fulham, age 49 & Elizabeth, age 47

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQV4-N5Q

guest259648

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 18:05 BST (UK) »
There is a 3rd John, born 1792, at Parsons Green Lane, Fulham, age 49 & Elizabeth, age 47

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQV4-N5Q

Jomot,Kloumann

OK. Thank you.
So we have several good possibilities, and a definite death, but it's not yet easy enough to pin him down in 1841.

May we please go backwards and try and find John Child's birth or baptism in 1792? I am struggling.
He has stated Ledsham, Tadcaster (Yorks) so he had a firm idea of his origins.

[It's possible this membership of the Life Guards was a family tradition, therefore his father could have been a soldier too.]
D

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
Baptism at Ledsham: 8 May 1791 John s/o John Child of Ledsham

Other children seem to be Mary 1787, James 1789, William 1793, Benjamin 1795 & Hannah 1795

John Child & Magdalen Clark married at Ledsham 8 Feb 1785
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

guest259648

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 18:31 BST (UK) »
Baptism at Ledsham: 8 May 1791 John s/o John Child of Ledsham

Other children seem to be Mary 1787, James 1789, William 1793, Benjamin 1795 & Hannah 1795

John Child & Magdalen Clark married at Ledsham 8 Feb 1785

Excellent! Well done.
I'm delighted to see this.

A baptism 1791 would almost certainly translate into age 50 on the 1841 Marylebone census, no rounding required?

Now, how to try and fill in more details of his life...

I can see he was definitely a Life Guard in 1812, and was mustered regularly thereafter.
I don't know much about soldiers.  Total novice!
Were these soldiers likely to marry? Did they take their families with them when they went abroad to fight?
I'm assuming the Life Guards were based in London at this time? therefore - if John Child did wed - would we be looking for a London marriage, maybe in the 1810s/20s?

D

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 19:13 BST (UK) »
I think it might be worthwhile starting at the end - with the death certificate - to see who the informant was.  If it was his wife, then at least you'll have a forename as a starting point.

Doing a search on John Child(s) marriages brings up several dozen possibilities, and most of the ones I've quickly looked at don't give an occupation.

You could do a search for children, but again, without knowing his wife's name (if he even had one) its a case of looking at them one by one for the father's occupation.