Author Topic: Footman or Coachman to Queen Victoria  (Read 1215 times)

Offline BlueSky38

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Footman or Coachman to Queen Victoria
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 26 August 21 22:49 BST (UK) »
There is a George James WOOD baptised at St Mary Rotherhithe, Southwark on 11 April 1869, born 18 March 1869 to parents George James WOOD (?? watchman) and Mary Ann. I see the death cert says his date of birth was 16 March 1869, so this may or not be the another possibility.  :-\

The 1901 Census has his birth date as 16 Mar 1868....so it's hard to know which is true.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 26 August 21 22:56 BST (UK) »
Note what Maddy said about that one:-

There is a George James WOOD baptised at St Mary Rotherhithe, Southwark on 11 April 1869, born 18 March 1869 to parents George James WOOD (?? watchman) and Mary Ann. I see the death cert says his date of birth was 16 March 1869, so this may or not be the another possibility.  :-\

No, can't be this one as he appears to have died in Dec qtr 1869.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline BlueSky38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 26 August 21 23:01 BST (UK) »
That George canít be him as George Arthur is still at home in 1891 when the subject is in Canada in 1891.
*Debraís posts - #7 and 8

Yes, yes, I see my problem.  The one instance of the "A" in the census caused me trouble.  So it seems I've really been researching the wrong family entirely.  I can't believe it.  I thought I was careful! :-\

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 26 August 21 23:11 BST (UK) »
Don't worry too much about it Blue.  We've all been there at some point in our research.  It's only too easy to jump to conclusions and end up following the wrong line.

I'll go back to what I asked you originally.

What facts are you positive about regarding the Wood family?  At what point are you quite sure about the Wood family?

Do you have certificates proving the connection from your MIL backwards?  Is this your MIL's family that you are researching?  If so her mother's side or her father's side?

Where in the line could it be uncertain that you have the correct information?

Offline BlueSky38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 27 August 21 00:08 BST (UK) »
Don't worry too much about it Blue.  We've all been there at some point in our research.  It's only too easy to jump to conclusions and end up following the wrong line.

I'll go back to what I asked you originally.

What facts are you positive about regarding the Wood family?  At what point are you quite sure about the Wood family?

Do you have certificates proving the connection from your MIL backwards?  Is this your MIL's family that you are researching?  If so her mother's side or her father's side?

Where in the line could it be uncertain that you have the correct information?

Thanks, it's definitely upsetting to realize that I've been researching the wrong people! However, I'm really very grateful to have it pointed out to me so I can find the right people! 

This is my MILs mother's side.  My MIL wrote down the names and some info from her parents and grandparents.  George Wood is her great grandfather who I had to find for myself (she had no info past her grandparents) I am certain that the George in Hamilton, Ontario is the right person because I have found documents linking him to my MIL's grandmother. 

My downfall was linking Ontario George to the wrong England George.   :-\  So I will begin to scour records and see if I can find the actual person- who might actually have been a footman for the queen. 

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 27 August 21 04:01 BST (UK) »

Thanks, it's definitely upsetting to realize that I've been researching the wrong people! However, I'm really very grateful to have it pointed out to me so I can find the right people! 

As GG says, I'm sure we've all done it! I know I have.  ;)

Death certificates of course are only as accurate as the informant knew, so if the census has his date of birth as 1868, presumably this is information he gave, so perhaps more accurate.

I also note that it says 45 years in the province (though nothing noted for time in Canada itself). The 1901 census also says arr 1887 in Canada. I've been looking at immigration records trying to find George. Hard as it is quite a common name.

There are a few possibilities:
arr 14 Sept 1887, George WOOD (labourer), his intended location is Toronto, on the Polynesian.
also, not sure if it's the same person on the same voyage, intended location Quebec:
Mary WOOD  45   (wife)
George           19  (labourer)
Annie              21  (domestic)
Alice                16  (domestic)
William            11
Nellie               8
Ada                 4

Also, arr on 13 July 1884, also on the Polynesian:
Mary WOOD   51  (wife)
Adelaide          23
George            16  (labourer)

(I think Adelaide marries in York, Toronto in 1886 and says her father was James, so probably not yours.)

Also, arr 30 April 1872 on the Texas:
Mary WOOD   30
Annie               6
George            4
Alice

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 27 August 21 04:23 BST (UK) »

Death certificates of course are only as accurate as the informant knew, so if the census has his date of birth as 1868, presumably this is information he gave, so perhaps more accurate.

Though I've just seen the 1911 census where he says March 1869.  ::)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 27 August 21 04:34 BST (UK) »
In 1887 there is also a George WOOD aged 18 arr Canada on the Sardinian as part of the Home Children immigration.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 27 August 21 08:32 BST (UK) »
I think what would really help is to find George's marriage to Louise/Louisa?  If that can be found that would have his parents names on it.

I notice that the 1911 census seems to give Louisa's place of birth as England.  Have you made any attempt to find a birth certificate for one of the children?  That should give you Louisa's maiden name which would help in locating a marriage.

Has George been found in the 1891 census?  The first child is Ethel M born 9 May 1891 according to the 1911 census so after the 1891 census was taken.