Author Topic: Buccianti, late 18th/early 19th Egypt  (Read 764 times)

Offline maribel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buccianti, late 18th/early 19th Egypt
« on: Friday 27 August 21 12:05 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find more about Italian George Buccianti, who was acting British Consul in Alexandria from about 1796 to 1806. Where is the best place for me to look?  Would British consular records have any information? Also not known where/when he was born, and if he had wife and family.  thank you, maribel.

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Buccianti, late 18th/early 19th Egypt
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 18:01 BST (UK) »
George Buccianti was actually Giovanni Felice Buccianti.
He was the scribe for George Baldwin (diplomat), who later re-appointed Buccianti the agent for his chancery in Alexandria.

Account books for the Levant Company indicate that Buccianti was already in, or at least had connections to, Alexandria as early as April 1782.

Sorry, I've been unable to confirm Buccianti's origins or family. Other than his nephew was Alexandro/Alessandro Buccianti (born c1772).

I don't know if they are online, but there appear to be references to Buccianti in late 18th-century British Chancery registers deposited in Constantinople.

Offline maribel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 18:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information Hillhurst. Great to get his name correct. My family had a book written by Alessandro, (in about 1848) in Italian about Napoleon's campaign (now lodged with Middle Eastern Studies Centre in Oxford) that was translated by my gt. grandfather in 1908. He mentions his uncle, but we have no idea how either were relay=ted to my 2xgt grandmother Emilie Buccianti.

I will try and find out how to unearth information from British Chancery Registers in Constantinople.
my thanks again, Maribel

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 19:19 BST (UK) »
Is your great-grandfather Alfred Hall, the translator? And what details do you have for your 2 x great-grandmother Emilie Buccianti? When and where was she born/died? Names of parents (if known)?

Offline maribel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 07:12 BST (UK) »
Yes Hillhurst, my great grandfather was Alfred Hall. He married Adèle Tourneau, daughter of Emilie Buccianti and Eugene Tourneau. I do not know when they were married but her name was given in a French documents of her children's births. She was born, I think, in Alexandria, as was her daughter Adèle. I think she died in Port Said (or Ash Shariquiyah) c.1916. (this information from Italian relations). I wish I knew Emilie's parents, but I have not found a record yet.
I am intrigued, you sound as though your family is close to this part of the Buccianti family.

maribel

Offline Davidovic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 15:30 BST (UK) »
Alex (or Alessandro) Buccianti was consul for Prussia and The Netherlands (Belgium + The Netherlands) from about ca. 1815 till ca. 1825. He was living with his family in Alexandria. The (many) letters he wrote to his superior(s), for the Netherlands this was to Gaspard Testa in Constantinople, were in French (and sometimes) Italian. He was replaced by consul Schutz, but received for many years after (till into the 1840s) a retirement fee.
Hope this helps,

David

Offline Davidovic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 15:37 BST (UK) »
Could it be that Alex Buccianti was the son of George Buccianti? If you have any information of Alex Buccianti, I would be interested to hear.
With kind regards,

David

Offline Davidovic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 15:54 BST (UK) »
I am quite sure reading from the other posts that Alexandro/Alessandro Buccianti (born c1772), is the same person as the consul of Prussia and The Netherlands in Alexandria. Could well be that he wrote a book about Napoleon, which he might have witnessed (Napoleon's campaign) when Napoleon landed in Alexandria (1798). I would be interested to know more about this book.
Thanks,

David