Author Topic: William L Baxter "Edinburgh Angus Club"  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Videostar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William L Baxter "Edinburgh Angus Club"
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 August 21 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kloumann

WOW, that's going to take some reading ! Many thanks for that.
I did notice one entry for "household furniture silver plate and other effects" perhaps the medal was included in this, even though it was solid silver. Looks like the gentleman was quite well off for his time.

Great Granny's surname was McKibben but I will have to look up her forename, we always referred to her as "wee Granny". I think (from memory) her address was 2 Buccleuch St, Moffat.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 12:37 BST (UK) »
Cannot find any records of McKibbens in Moffat or anywhere else in Dumfries.

Offline Videostar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 02 September 21 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kloumann

Sorry for the delay. Your comment absolutely stunned me - I have always known her as "wee granny" and just assumed (because I was told she was my great grandma) that her name was McKibben. I have contacted my only living Scottish relative in Glasgow and she was under the same impression. However, she seems to think that many years ago, someone may have told her that she was a "step grandma", i.e. not related but I now have no further info and everything I have done so far was on the assumption that she was my mum's grandma. I am sorry if my misinformation caused you any difficulty. I will try and investigate further when I get back from my business meeting late next week. Thank you very much for your help so far. Best wishes, Geof.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 02 September 21 11:34 BST (UK) »
From the Valuation Roll, the Occupier/Proprietor of 2 Buccleuch St, Moffat was a Thomasina H Tweedie in 1940. No records after that year on SP. She died age 80 in 1975.

Offline Videostar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 02 September 21 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hmm, it would appear that it was a family "story" - nothing we "knew" about the lady appears to be the truth ! It does, of course, give me more information to investigate to see if I can trace my family back to William Baxter, but not yet, it will be after my business trip. Thanks yet again.

Offline Videostar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 October 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Kloumann, I have had discussions with my Scottish cousin at great length and it would appear that we have both been totally mislead. Nothing from the family history seems to make any sense anymore and it would appear they were all lies ! I can remember visiting "wee granny" in Buccleuch St, Moffat when I would be aged around 10 (1955) and she seemed "VERY old" (but she would to a 10year old). We went by train to Moffat so that is some time ago, there are no longer any trains, or railway. I'm sorry to have caused any inconvenience. If we do manage to find anything further I will let you know. Thank you ever so much for your trouble. Best wishes, Geof Helm.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 12 October 21 09:12 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help even if I have disillusioned you about your 'wee granny'