Author Topic: 1721 act book, Latin translation?  (Read 115 times)

Offline Janet Waterhouse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1721 act book, Latin translation?
« on: Friday 27 August 21 16:00 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I'm struggling with the attached Latin text, the entries I believe are from the 1721 PCC act book, but I'm probably wrong.  Names appear in separate paragraphs on the page.  I've included the page header and the top entry as well as another name.  I'd like both entries translated into English if possible.  Latin is not my strong point.

Regards,

Janet

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1721 act book, Latin translation?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 August 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
Pontefract with Halifax in the year of the Lord 1721
On the third day of the month of August in the aforesaid year of the Lord, administration of the goods etc. of Thomas Smith, lately of Womersley in the Diocese of York, who died intestate (as it is claimed), was granted to George Smith his father, who was first sworn before John Drake, clerk, dean of the Deanery of Pontefract aforesaid (saving etc.); an inventory of over 40 was submitted, and security was presented.

On the fifth day of the aforesaid month administration of the goods of Samuel Greathead, lately of Gildersome in the parish of Batley in the Diocese of York, who died intestate (as it is claimed), was granted to Alice Smith, widow, and Susanna Greathead, spinster, his daughters, who were first sworn before John Maude[?], clerk, surrogate etc. (saving etc.); an inventory of more than 40 was submitted, and security was presented.
[marginated ] see also Administration of Unadministered Goods, granted in the month of December 1743.

ADDED - yes, these appear to be entries in an Act Book.

Offline Janet Waterhouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1721 act book, Latin translation?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 August 21 07:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox,

once again for a very quick turnaround.

My quest now is to locate the 1743 document mentioned in the margin.

Regards,

Janet