Author Topic: Death Certificate Occupation  (Read 263 times)

Offline CG07

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Certificate Occupation
« on: Friday 27 August 21 18:20 BST (UK) »
I'm having trouble reading this occupation, anyone able to help?

Donald Munro
?    ?   Worker
(Deceased)

Helen Munro
M.S. Mcleod
(Deceased)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate Occupation
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 August 21 18:21 BST (UK) »
I think it's Lime Kiln Worker.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 August 21 18:21 BST (UK) »
Lime kiln worker?

Edit: JenB beat me!

Offline CG07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 August 21 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 August 21 18:41 BST (UK) »
I definitely read lime kiln worker too

My old house was built in 1853 with lime plaster, etc. 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 August 21 12:27 BST (UK) »
Lime mortar, plaster and wash - precursor to emulsion paint - are amazing products, they allow the building to breathe.  Victorian builders through to the early/mid 1900s used cement based products for rendering etc. and that has ruined many old buildings as moisture getting into the structure cannot escape leading to structural damage, decay and rot.  Lime kiln workers had a very important and skilled job, especially those responsible for the burning of the chalk to get the lime.  Tricky material when fully dehydrated as it is 'moisture hungry' and if you get any of the powder in your eyes it causes considerable pain and potential damage - think soap in you eyes and multiply that some!  When I was a lad in the mid 1950s I got some in a cut, yea gods it stung like it was on fire - dehydrated lime heats up when re-hydrated.  Lime mortar is very plastic to use, cement mortars often have lime added to aid its work-ability.  Whenever I specified mortar and plaster for repairs or extensions to old buildings when I worked as an Architect I always specified either solely lime based products or more generally cement products with lime added.  The disadvantage with lime mortar/render is that it takes longer to fully 'cure' and develop full strength, sometimes a year or more.  A big advantage of its use is hat it retains a degree of flexibility where cement based products become rigid.  I have a lot of respect for lime kiln workers and am proud that some of my ancestors were so employed in various tasks from laborers to the kiln workers.