Author Topic: Narrowing a search on Trove  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Narrowing a search on Trove
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 August 21 07:56 BST (UK) »
WW2 Military file for Owen Parker
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=4496937
An interesting file - some time as POW in Changi, Singapore.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 August 21 10:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have tried limiting my search by place, date and newspaper title. And its default is to sort by relevance.

I had also found those birth, marriage and death references and the announcement in the Government Gazette.

What I could not be sure of was whether Owen Parker (1914-1967) was the husband of Ada Craig Guthrie (1902-1964).

The additional information you have all provided from all those sources other than Trove is great, because I think it is enough to show that he was.

Thank you, Neale1961, CassT, matthewj64 and wivenhoe.

That's another loose end in my tree tied up; as Ada was 49 when she married it's pretty much certain there were no children.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi The death Funeral Notices confirm that Owen was the husband of Ada, the daug of the late  Mr and Mrs Guthrie of Cardiff Wales

Cass

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 08:43 BST (UK) »
Oh, that is brilliant, thank you. Conclusive proof.

But I still cannot find their death notices on Trove. The latest edition of the Sydney Morning Herald available to me there is 31 December 1954. So no wonder none of my searches found them.

The only explanation I can think of is that Trove must have different versions for Australian and non-Australian users.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 00:05 BST (UK) »
There is no difference to Trove access for Aussie and or Non Aussie's. I found the Notices via NSW State Library access, as a NSW resident I am eligible to join the Library.

My previous offer "I have found the Death Funeral Notices for Ada and Owen in the SMH. If you would like copies send your Email address to me via a PM." still stands

Cass