Author Topic: Help with Latin Court Roll  (Read 137 times)

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with Latin Court Roll
« on: Monday 30 August 21 10:33 BST (UK) »
I hope somebody can help me with the image below.

It can also be found online here:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DR99-VJZ?i=581&cat=416138

It is the final part of an Admission at a Manor Court. They usually follow a set formula, but in this case it's different.

Robert Levick was the brother of Francis Slap, which is mentioned here. I know that this particular piece of land wasn't supposed to go to him, but rather to her sons by a previous marriage, which in fact happens later.

I think this may lay out what happened, but can't make head or tail of it.

Cheers,

Lewis
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Latin Court Roll
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 21 14:00 BST (UK) »
I had to go back a page for the 'history', but I think this is the gist ...

Frances Slap, widow of Phenicius[?] Slap, died holding the properties (houses and land in Hethersett). At an earlier court Robert Levick[?], her brother and next heir, had surrendered these properties to the lord for the use of William Symonds, citizen and alderman of Norwich, but Symonds didnít show in court at that time, so he couldnít be admitted.

Now Symonds has shown up at this court, and he is granted seisin of Frances Slap's properties, which had been held by Robert under the name of Frances Levick. Symonds is admitted to the properties, and he pays both his own entry fine and that of Robert, who had been holding them only because of Symondsí failure to show up earlier.

There is also a reference to Frances Slap first getting the properties from a surrender by Agnes Hatfield at a much earlier court (12 June, 10. James I = 1612).

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 August 21 22:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Book Box.

That makes sense. I had a closer look, and realised that the property I thought went o the Roses was actually different - though both were described in the same way which led to my confusion.

I've come across "Phenicius" as Phenie and Phinie as well, and have come to the conclusion he must be a Phineas Slapp. Unfortunately despite such a distinctive name he doesn't show up to clearly in the records apart from his marriage to Francis.
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 August 21 23:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, Phineas looks a good bet. I don't recall seeing it in Latin before.