Author Topic: Ernest Edward Studham my Grandfathers WW1 service  (Read 654 times)

Offline Studham56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ernest Edward Studham my Grandfathers WW1 service
« on: Monday 30 August 21 20:24 BST (UK) »
I am having trouble finding any reference to my Grandfathers service record. He was a police officer at Portsmouth City during the outbreak of hostilities  and there is a break in his police record. There was some suggestion that he had joined the military police. However, I remember my father mentioning that he was in a Rifles brigade. I have tried searching but come up with Ernest Studham another relation who I believed was killed during the war. My Grandfather returned to the Portsmouth City Police after his service and was promoted to Sargent then about 4 months later to Inspector which was not unusual for that time due to shortages from losses and retirements.

I would appreciate any ideas on how I can discover his regiment and service record.
Thank you Richard

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Edward Studham my Grandfathers WW1 service
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 11:22 BST (UK) »
The newspaper, The Hampshire Telegraph (12 March 1915) shows that he was a witness in a court case concerning a deserter called James C Yates.

The newspaper, The Plymouth Evening News (11 May 1915) run an article about the number of Portsmouth policemen who had enlisted. Amongst the list headed 'Volunteers' is Constable E. E. Studham, King's Royal Rifles.

If you subscribe to Find My Past, the links below will take you to the articles.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000290%2f19150511%2f027&stringtohighlight=studham

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0001973%2f19150312%2f056&stringtohighlight=studham

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 12:10 BST (UK) »
I have searched all available military databases on Ancestry and Find My Past and I can not find any trace of him. I have used various combinations of his name and also used 'wild cards' in my searches but to no avail. There is one possibility and that is for you to contact the Hampshire County records Office who may have the Portsmouth Absent Voters list for the period 1915 to 1919. If they have it, you should be able to find him on it, his entry will give his service number and regiment.

Also, are you aware that over 60% of WW1 military records where destroyed during the bombing of London during WW2.

Offline Studham56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 13:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you Allan thar is great news. I am on find my past and looked at the papers but limited it to Portsmouth. There are several articles about cases in court but had not seen the Kings Royal Rifles and Plymouth so Many thanks for your help. Other relatives I have checked had their service record damaged by fire so what you said makes sense.
Thanks again for your help Allan.
Best Regards

Richard

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Please have a look at this link to Find My Past -- It looks like your grandfather. His service number was 13/9937 in the 18th Battalion of the King's Royal Rifle Corps and when you look at the original record (it is a list of men granted leave for the 24 and 25 September 1916) you will see that he was a Sergeant in 'A' Company.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2FSUPP%2F538068

Allan

Offline Studham56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 16:05 BST (UK) »
Perfect! Many Thanks again Allan. That might explain the rapid promotion on his return to the police force.
Best Regards
Richard

Offline CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 17:28 BST (UK) »
Is he the Ernest Edward Studham who married Maud Elizabeth Clarke on 12 January 1918 in the church of St Martin, Kensal Rise in the parish of Willesden? If so, his occupation is given as soldier, with his usual place of residence given as Halefield Barracks, Wendover, Buckinghamshire. His age certainly seems to match the Ernest E Studham who is a police constable in Portsmouth in the 1911 England census.

Offline Studham56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig,
That's him OK! He joined the Police in February 1909, then joined HM forces  April 1915. He Married Maud  in 1918 and returned to the Police force 5th February 1919. His Police service card was continued so I assume his years service as a Police officer continued and retired in 1934 which made it 25 years which is normal in Police force. He then became Security Manager at George Wimpy.
Thanks for the information Craig.
Best Regards
Richard

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 09:45 BST (UK) »
Richard, as he does not appear on the Medal Index Cards or the Medal Rolls, it suggests that Ernest never served overseas. In your first post you mentioned 'there was some suggestion that he had joined the military police' -- as he was a police constable with several years experience, he could have been an ideal candidate to be based at a barracks to look after 'the lads in trouble'. Just a suggestion!

Allan