Author Topic: Transcription of 1622 will  (Read 125 times)

Offline Vitabrevis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Transcription of 1622 will
« on: Tuesday 31 August 21 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hi I'd welcome any assistance in transcribing the attached will, which begins on page 1 and continues on page 2. Thank you.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Transcription of 1622 will
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 13:06 BST (UK) »
It's quite a long will, but in a good clear hand. Perhaps you could try it yourself first? Then post your own transcript of the parts that you have been able to read, and ask for help to fill the gaps?

This alphabet might help you identify some of the letter-forms used ...
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/palaeography/doc3_popup/alphabet.htm

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Transcription of 1622 will
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 23:18 BST (UK) »
As Bookbox says, you could have a stab at this yourself.
But just to get you going in case this is your first foray into transcribing a will, here's the first few lines for you to see how the scribe writes:

In the name of god Amen: I James Hawley of Brainford
in the County of Midd* Esquior  beinge sicke in bodye but of good and p(er)fect memory doe
ordaine and make this my last will and testament in manner  and forme followinge
ffirst I recom(m)end my soule to god my bodie I bequeath to the earth to be buried at
the discrec(i)on of my Executor hereafter named And my mind and  will is that
all my debtes be trulie and Justlie satisfied and paid It(e)m I give to my sonne William
Hawley the some of one hundred and fiftie poundes........

* Midd. This word has a long line over the top, which indicates it is a contraction of a word. I presume 'Middlesex'. When asking for help with a transcription, it's always a good idea to include what you know already - for example, you will have known the person's name and place of residence to have been able to find this will.

You will notice there are some conventions to transcribing if you've not done this before.
A new line is started in the transcription when there is a new line in the will or document. This make it easier to follow, especially if the document in question is very long or large.
Words are transcribed as they are written. They should not be 'modernised' in the transcription.
Nor should punctuation be added that is not in the original (you'll notice there are very few full stops or commas in this will).
You can always write a more readable version afterwards if that is needed, especially with some very old wills and documents, as long as it's made clear they have been altered to modern spelling and punctuation.
A small line above a word indicates a missing letter or letters.

The probate section is in Latin, so you can always come back for a translation of that.

Have a go at some of it and post your transcription for any words you can't get.

Good luck!

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs