Author Topic: Legal Document 1540's–1550's  (Read 623 times)

Online Vance Mead

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Document 1540's–1550's
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 September 21 06:34 BST (UK) »
Here's another Lynon in "Wyddylsey" at about that time, in Common Pleas

Hilary term 1545, f1247, second entry:
London. Nicholas Wolbar versus Humphrey Stafford, of Blatharwyk, Northants, knight; William Lynon, of Wyddylsey, Cams, clerk; John Stakworthe, of Wyddylsey, Cams, yeoman, for debt of 45 shillings from Humphrey and 40 shillings from either William or John.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/aalt1/H8/CP40no1124/aCP40no1124fronts/IMG_1247.htm

Mead - Herts, Bucks, Essex
Pontifex - Bucks
Goldhurst - London, Middx, Herts
Kellogg/Kelhog - Essex, Cambs

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 September 21 20:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, horselydown!  :) :) :) You are an absolute wonder! Ever since I received those documents I have felt that I could stare at them until the end of time without them making any sort of sense, lol.

Snippet #6.

Where I have inserted a word or words like this - [* specified *] - it indicates that the document is damaged:  nevertheless the word is partly legible and I have completed it based on my knowledge of what is probable in that context.

That is super impressive! Thank you so much!  :)

Here's another Lynon in "Wyddylsey" at about that time, in Common Pleas

Hilary term 1545, f1247, second entry:
London. Nicholas Wolbar versus Humphrey Stafford, of Blatharwyk, Northants, knight; William Lynon, of Wyddylsey, Cams, clerk; John Stakworthe, of Wyddylsey, Cams, yeoman, for debt of 45 shillings from Humphrey and 40 shillings from either William or John.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/aalt1/H8/CP40no1124/aCP40no1124fronts/IMG_1247.htm

Oh, wow! That is so impressive! That is one I don't think I ever would have found on my own! Wyddylsey *g* You gotta love 1500’s spelling  :)

This was very interesting! I did not know about William! Sir Humphrey Stafford (c.1478–22 September 1545) of Blatherwycke and Dodford, Northants. was related to Queen Elizabeth Woodville, and was the father of Sir William Stafford, the second husband of Mary Boleyn, the Other Boleyn Girl, and sister of Anne Boleyn :)

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Stafford-6
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/stafford-sir-william-1512-56

Thank you both so much!  :) :-* :)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 September 21 21:03 BST (UK) »
Posting snippet 8  :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 September 21 22:22 BST (UK) »
Snippet #7

... souly possessid And p(er)ceyvid and toke the yssues and p(ro)fytt(es) therof dyv(er)se yeres And aft(er) the said Richard about the space of three

or foure yeres last past or there about made his last wyll and testament And of the same he constytutid ordeynid and made yo(ur)

said orato(ur) his executo(ur) and died / Aft(er) whose death yo(ur) said orato(ur) p(ro)vid the same wyll of the said Richard before thordynary according

to thord(er) of the lawe / By force wherof aswell the said Indenture sealid by the said late mast(er) ^as^ all other the good(es) and catall ...

I wonder if there is a line missing between snippets 7 and 8 ?

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 September 21 23:07 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you so much, Bookbox!  :) :) :)

Yes, you are naturally quite right, in fact two whole lines were missing! *hangs head in shame*

I blame the scribe (you know, instead of myself *g*) for writing not quite straight. I had to snip from right to left, instead of left to right the way I usually do it. Was going for the word that ended in ‘yll’ and ended up with ‘wyll’ instead of the word two lines over.

Have replaced the snippet now and it should be correct. I am so very glad you caught that  :D This whole thing is so immensely interesting.

So Richard left a will. Where could that be, does anybody know?

Thank you again, Bookbox, you are a star!  :) :-* :)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 September 21 04:38 BST (UK) »
Snippet #8:

...late of the sonne Richard do lefully app(er)teyne and belong unto yo(ur) said orato(ur)  So yt is right hono(ur)able lorde that one hugh hyll

w(i)t(h)owt any man(er) of colo(ur) of right or tytle ym(m)edyatly aft(er) the death of the said Richard Entrid into the same grannge lond(es) feld(es)

pastures and other the p(re)msses
[sic] w(i)t(h) thapp(ur)ten(a)nc(es) and the possession therof kepyth conv(er)ting the p(ro)fytt(es) therof to his owne use and wyll

not p(er)mytt ne suffer yo(ur) said orato(ur) to intromytt ne medle therw(i)t(h)  And hath [atternid?] and gotten into his hand(es) and possession the said...

lefully = lawfully (presumably)

ne = nor

intromytt = intromit

atternid = not sure about the fifth letter of this word but attorned fits with context.

ADDED:

Archaic meaning of attorned is to:  transfer (something) to someone else

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 September 21 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, horselydown!  :) :) :) You are an absolute star!  :) :-* :)

Thank you so much for the added explanations of words as well, absolutely fantastic! In many ways it is almost like a completely different language!

I am finding both the case and the property really interesting :) To sum things up thus far as family relationships go:

Thomas lynon and Alice his wyfe and the said Richard theire sonne

And so possessid the said Thomas and Alice died and the said Richard them ov(er)lyvid
(snippet 6)

And aft(er) the said Richard about the space of three or foure yeres last past or there about made his last wyll and testament And of the same he constytutid ordeynid and made yo(ur) said orato(ur) his executo(ur) and died / Aft(er) whose death yo(ur) said orato(ur) p(ro)vid the same wyll of the said Richard before thordynary according to thord(er) of the lawe
(snippet 7)

So Richard would have died no earlier than 1540.

late of the sonne Richard
(snippet 8 )

Bit weird phrasing.

So far it has not been stated that this Thomas Lynom (the one with the suit) is the son of Richard, right? It says so in the summary at the National Archives, so it may yet show up, but I don't think it has been said explicitly said at this point?

Thank you so much again!  :)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 September 21 08:50 BST (UK) »
Posting snippet 10  :)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 September 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
Snippet #9:

...Indenture or lease made of the p(re)misses by the said late mast(er) of the said hospytall w(hi)ch he wrongfully deteynyth and kepyth from

yo(ur) said oratour And wyll make no delyv(er)e therof unto yo(ur) said orato(ur) allthough he hath byn therunto dyv(er)se tymes requyrid And

forasmoche as yo(ur) said orato(ur) knoweth not the date of the same Indenture nor certen thing(es) conteynid in the same necessary to be

knowen for the maynten(a)nce of an Acc(i)on at the com(m)yn lawe for the recov(er)e of the p(re)misses And for that also that yo(ur) said oratour...