Author Topic: Am I particularly stupid or have others made this sort of mistake?  (Read 825 times)

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Am I particularly stupid or have others made this sort of mistake?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 September 21 15:40 BST (UK) »
I was sending off for a living family member's birth certificate and couldn't find them on the GRO - took me ages to realise that I'd entered their birth year as 1886 and not 1986 - so used to using the nineteenth century dates!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
Re: Am I particularly stupid or have others made this sort of mistake?
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 September 21 03:50 BST (UK) »
A while ago I ordered a death certificate (a very old one from the 1840s) in the hope of finding some information (anything) its quite a common surname but I knew exact when they died and place, so imagine my surprise when I received a Birth Certificate (quite a recent one). A complete different name - After my heart sinking I thought surely I can not be that stupid to order a Birth Certificate instead of a Death Certificate. With a completely different name and different place (both in the same county  though) I had ordered on line and checking the order details I realized that something must have gone wrong I HAD ordered a death Certificate!

After ringing the record office and explaining the situation (which was met with skepticism) I was told I needed to return the certificate at my cost and if indeed what I was saying was true then the correct one would be sent out.

This I then proceeded to do (with a lot of grudging silent swear words) Later the same day I get an email asking me to please contact the record office!!!! - with a managers phone number.

I rang and wasn't sure what they want to speak about, (Was I off hand on the phone? I didn't think so) So I started by saying that I had received an email to contact and wondered if it was anything to do with the Birth Certificate that I received instead of a Death Certificate?

It was..... and the operator had given me the wrong information, I would be reimbursed with my postage and the correct certificate sent out.

After the fact I did have a bit of a snigger. My Death Certificate was just for family history research. The poor Guy that got my Death Certificate (because that's what I presumed happened) must have been having palpitations. Probably needing it for a passport or something official. 
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire