Author Topic: Milham of Hendfield, Yokehurst of Sussex  (Read 1289 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Milham of Hendfield, Yokehurst of Sussex
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 September 21 16:56 BST (UK) »
You've found it, marvellous.

Why did it take so long to prove?

So, seen both original wills, but no further forward with Mary.
Thanks for your help so far, has been much appreciated.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 September 21 17:12 BST (UK) »
It sometimes happens if the executor takes their time or sees little point in carrying out the process - or worse dies before applying for probate.

I see that Mary was buried on 11 April 1705 - she must have  been persuaded to do something just before her own demise.  :-\

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 September 21 17:26 BST (UK) »
Was just coming here with a timeline.

William's will written 22 Dec 1698, buried 25 Dec 1698, will proved 5 Apr 1705

Mary's will written 7 Apr 1705, buried 11 Apr 1705, will proved 1 Jun 1706
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 September 21 16:36 BST (UK) »
Nellie, I am finding it difficult to navigate those wills.

Can you tell me if Broadwater wills are available online?

I have 2 Barker wills which I need to see -
Thomas Barker 1585, then Ann Barker in 1586 (hopefully his widow).

Margaret

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 September 21 21:58 BST (UK) »
Ann's should be there somewhere (reference is STC I /14/15b) but I haven't found it on any of the films so far.  The early wills are quite difficult to make out and there is some damage to many.

Thomas Barker is not in that index.  Was it proved in Chichester?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 September 21 22:59 BST (UK) »
Name:Barker, Thomas
Dates:1585
Place:Broadwater, Sussex, England
Book:Register 3.
Collection:Sussex: - Calendar of Administrations in the Consistory court of the Bishop of Chichester 1555-1800
Barker, Thomas, Broadwater C 107 1585

Name:Barker, Ann
Dates:1586
Place:Brodewater, Sussex, England
Book:Register 3.
Collection:Sussex: Chichester - Calendar of Wills in the Consistory Court of the Bishop of Chichester, 1482-1800
Barker, Ann, widow, Brodewater 14 15b 1586

But I don't know how to search for Ann's even, not sure how to navigate the wills at all.  ???

Margaret

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 September 21 02:38 BST (UK) »
So cross with myself.

I found the right film, I think. Got as far as about 1575, going through the wills one by one.

Accidentally clicked the page off. Not quick enough to retrieve it, and can't find it again.

My concentration has been very bad over the last few months, hopefully only temporary, and I was enjoying my efforts with the original query, then searching for the wills.

As you may see by the time this is posted, I have been working on this for a few hours.

Margaret

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 September 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
Name:Barker, Thomas
Dates:1585
Collection:Sussex: - Calendar of Administrations in the Consistory court of the Bishop of Chichester 1555-1800

As you say, that is an administration, rather than a will
Calendar of Administrations (Fry)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSZX-YP4Z

I don't think any films of admons are open on FS, but do check.

Name:Barker, Ann
Dates:1586
Collection:Sussex: Chichester - Calendar of Wills in the Consistory Court of the Bishop of Chichester, 1482-1800

Fry again, wills this time
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924009521307&view=1up&seq=18&skin=2021

So these are references to the Chichester Consistory register copy wills
In the preface to the book (found on FS) it suggests that original wills circa 1550-90 are going to be noted.
There is no reference to an original will for Ann Barker, so it probably hasn't survived.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 September 21 02:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Worth a try, and good that I didn't send off for them both - might have paid for nothing.

Still looking for records for Mary Briggs/Milham/Yokehurst and Joseph, nothing found so far.

Margaret