Author Topic: Ancestry - no new messages  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry - no new messages
« on: Friday 03 September 21 08:10 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have the same problem as me and if so is there a fix,  the envelope on the right hand side of my page says I have a message so I read the message and reply but the envelope still shows I have a message each time I log in but there is no new messages.

Hope you could understand and follow my rant . :-\
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
  • William Preston M.R.C.S. (1823-1858)
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 September 21 08:32 BST (UK) »
Not just you Kerrill - it's standard behaviour for the Ancestry message centre and rather irritating.  I opened and read a message yesterday and it's still showing as unread.  From past experience, I think it goes away 24 hours after you first opened the message.  Why they choose to do this when a child in his first week of programming could sort it defeats me.
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 September 21 08:42 BST (UK) »
On the other hand - I sent a message to a tree owner, found the envelope this morning noting that I have a response.  I've read it and replied and the envelope is now back to normal.  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 September 21 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Jon, it helps when you find your not alone.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 September 21 09:25 BST (UK) »
Interesting BumbleB - I wonder if it's also checking that you have replied to a message.  The person who messaged me yesterday included an email address so I didn't reply via the message centre.
Preston in Newcastle (1770-1850) ; Brumwell - Weardale and Newcastle ; Wylie (Newcastle 1800-1870) ; Slaughter (Sussex and South Shields 1750-1850) ; Barkas (Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Redshaw (Medomsley and Newcastle 1750-1850) ; Simpson (Hamsterley 1720-1820) ; Anderson (Ryton 1750-1850) ; Chilton (Darlington 1750-1920) ; Pattison (West Tanfield, Bellerby, Northallerton) ; Sanderson (Hamsterley and Stanhope (1750-1850)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 September 21 09:27 BST (UK) »
I'm with BumbleB ;)

Had 3 messages this week; replied every time and had no problems with the Message icon.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 September 21 10:11 BST (UK) »
It had a 'moment' yesterday, told me I had two new messages I got all excited then found that I hadn't.  After 'refreshing' it several times the system decided I didn't have any new messages after all.  I wish it would go back to the way it was some time ago, with directories etc..  The Good Ol' Days!  :-(
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 September 21 10:28 BST (UK) »
From my own experience, the icon stays active till you reply, then it goes away. 

I have one message dating back over 10 years. I tried to reply, but the OP had died and their relatives closed all internet activity. Ancestry said I could not reply to an account that did not exist.So it remains, as a testament to researcher who got in a muddle. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline jon541

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 September 21 12:59 BST (UK) »
Another thought - if the icon only changes when you respond to a message, does that not lead to a game of eternal ping-pong since there will always be one person who hasn't replied? ... I'm sure that's not the case so presumably the onus is on the person originally sent the message/query.

Daft logic on Ancestry's part really - much better just to remove the 'unread message' flag once it has been opened and read.