Author Topic: Petty's Census 1659 - Curious as to what Downpatrick is under for the location  (Read 1065 times)

Offline IrishAussie16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I hope this area is ok to post on this topic, I wasn't sure where else to ask this.

I have just been reading through Petty's Census from 1659 and one of the areas I wanted to view was Downpatrick. If anyone else has read it, is Downpatrick under Parish Downe, Townlands Downe Town ? I couldn't find a listing of Downpatrick per se.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't include more surnames for Downe. Does anyone know with the principal Irish names, the ones listed, were they the most common ones in that area at the time?
Yourell, McComiskey, Collins, Dawson, Ashton, McKnight, Bilsborough, Riethmuller

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Petty's Census 1659 - Curious as to what Downpatrick is under for the location
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 September 21 14:59 BST (UK) »
According to this link the town was originally known as Down.

http://www.placenamesni.org/resultdetails.php?entry=12718

Penders (or Petty's) Census wasn’t a full census in the modern fashion with every resident identified. He just listed the main names and key occupants together with notes as to whether they were Scottish, English or Irish.
Elwyn

Offline IrishAussie16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Petty's Census 1659 - Curious as to what Downpatrick is under for the location
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 September 21 10:21 BST (UK) »
I just found it fascinating to read the most common/used surnames in each town at that time.

Have you ever read the Down Survey? Did they have any different information included in that? All heads of house or just land owners?
Yourell, McComiskey, Collins, Dawson, Ashton, McKnight, Bilsborough, Riethmuller

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 September 21 11:47 BST (UK) »
You can view the survey here:

http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/down-survey-maps.php#c=Down

No land was forfeited in Downpatrick so it isn’t listed in the survey. But mostly what is shown are maps, not lists of occupants.  The Down survey was created to provide an accurate record of forfeited land. Land seized by Parliament from the native owners, as reparations after the 1641 uprising.

The Down Survey isn’t named after Co. Down. The name comes from the word down, and refers to laying a measurement down. (Measuring land by using a chain which was laid down during the process. This led to the survey being called the Down survey. Bit obscure).
Elwyn

Offline IrishAussie16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 September 21 16:21 BST (UK) »
Kind of odd to name it Down Survey for that reason  :D Especially when there is a county named the same. Oh well, thanks for the link. I will have a look.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 September 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
The Down survey contains details of land right across Ireland, not just in Co Down.  That's just a coincidence.
Elwyn