Author Topic: McLorinan family burying-ground, Antrim  (Read 3691 times)

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLorinan family burying-ground, Antrim
« on: Friday 03 September 21 21:46 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about this burying-ground?

Thomas M'Lorinan, Methodist minister, died April 17 1880 at Warrenpoint. According to the Belfast Newsletter for April 20 1880 his remains were to be removed for interment in the family burying-ground, Antrim, on that day.

His father was Henry McLorinan, farmer, who died at Castle Street, Antrim on January 12 1875. Mother so far unknown, at least to me.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McLorinan family burying-ground, Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 September 21 23:17 BST (UK) »
May be a coincidence or nothing at all (quite likely!), have you seen
25 November 1868
Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Alexander Mackey late of Antrim County Antrim Wesleyan Minister a Bachelor deceased who died 29 April 1865 at same place were granted at Belfast to John M'Lorinan of Mill-street Belfast County Antrim Soap Chandler a Nephew and one of the next of kin of said deceased.

Alexander Mackey died 29 April 1865, age 80
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGCX-5JNZ

Though BNL, 1 May 1865, says a bit younger!
The Rev. Alexander Mackey, of Antrim, an eloquent and zealous Methodist minister, died on Saturday, at Antrim, in his 78th year.
The assassination of Abraham Lincoln was still in the news!

There's a marriage in Belfast in 1855 of John McLorinan, 35, father Henry, a Farmer, to Mary Robb.
Though he was a writing clerk, not a soap chandler.
And I don't know what happened to him!
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1855/09484/5437118.pdf

Scrub the rest!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 September 21 09:35 BST (UK) »
Well, we have a book, "History of Methodism in Ireland", vol 2, The Middle Age.
Chapter 18, 1805
Page 269
Mary Mackey, a Unitarian, hears singing from a Methodist funeral procession, seems taken by it
Mary marries William Johnson
Mary has a sister Martha*, and a brother Alexander, an exceedingly promising young man! They all seem to become Methodists

footnote (Martha)
*Afterwards Mrs. M'Lorinan, mother of the Rev. Thomas M'Lorinan

On google books, and here
https://archive.org/details/historymethodis02croogoog/page/n284/mode/2up

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 September 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
Thomas M'Lorinan, Methodist minister, died April 17 1880 at Warrenpoint.

Hopefully is the son of Martha mentioned!
Is there a death registration for him (Newry?) :-\

The only Martha in the death indexes (which start in 1864 of course) seems to be Martha McLorinan who died 20 April 1895, age 78, at Quinnville Terrace, Holywood, Belfast.
Obviously not Mary Mackey's sister! But she was a spinster, and cert says daughter of the late Henry McLorinan, a Shopkeeper
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1895/05933/4685549.pdf

Could that still be Henry the farmer? :-\
Death announcement in the BNL says she was late of Antrim.

There is a very brief write up on the Rev Thomas M'Lorinan in the Belfast Morning News, 5 May 1880.
From free text
Born August 1818
Entered the ministry in 1845
Spent several years in the Didsbury College, Manchester

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 September 21 13:49 BST (UK) »
Has Simpson come up in the researches?
The informant on the Martha McLorinan 1895 death was John Simpson of Quinnville Terrace, Holywood.

Now, the following year, on 21 October, there is the death of John Simpson of Quinnville Terrace! He was also aged 78.
Occupation Farmer
Informant Martha Harrison of QT
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05885/4669489.pdf

Lisburn Herald, etc., 24 October 1896, adjusted ocr text (check original if possible)
SIMPSON—October 21, at his daughter’s residence, Quinnville Terrace, Holywood, John Simpson, late of Stoneyford. His remains will removed for interment in ? Presbyterian Churchyard on Saturday morning, the 24th inst., at 10.30, passing Lisburn 12.30. Friends will please accept this intimation.

So is Martha Harrison, the informant, John Simpson's daughter? The name Martha is certainly interesting!
There is a marriage at Magheragall, 7 March 1872, William J Harrison, 31, Farmer, and Martha Simpson, 21, father John Simpson, Farmer
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1872/11294/8143334.pdf

Announcement in the BNL, 15 March 1872
William John Harrison, Brookhill, to Martha, eldest daughter of Mr. John Simpson, Stoneyford, near Lisburn.

A marriage back on 6 April 1847, at Antrim, that looks hopeful.
John Simpson, Farmer.
+
Mary McLorinan
So faint, it's hard to read!
Is John's residence Stoneyford?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1847/09320/5374885.pdf

It is indexed on FamilySearch, Mary's father is Henry McLorinan.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL3W-YVHT

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 September 21 14:19 BST (UK) »
A final snippet, relevant or not :-\
BNL, 28 Nov 1898
LOST.
10S REWARD to anyone returning Gold Brooch, with topaz setting, lost October 26th, in Holywood, to Mrs. M'Dowell, Quinnville, Holywood.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 September 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
John Simpson, Farmer.
+
Mary McLorinan
So faint, it's hard to read!
Is John's residence Stoneyford?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1847/09320/5374885.pdf

Certainly looks like it, John.
I've tried to darken it a bit. Looks like the vicar wrote it as two words (see attached).

Stoneyford village is in the townland of Island Kelly in Derriaghy CP.
https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/massereene-upper/derriaghy/island-folly/island-kelly/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 September 21 14:55 BST (UK) »
Ah, thank you very much, Kiltaglassan. It does look as you say.
Apparently I had some mystery relatives living near Stoneyford in the early 1900s, one day I might find out who they were!

It seems we can tie together Martha and Mary (Simpson) as daughters of Henry McLorinan. Hopefully the right Henry, it doesn't appear to be a very common surname. Be nice to have some proof, but the Martha name is good, if his wife was Martha Mackey.

Have been struggling with finding very many people in "Quinnville Terrace", and perhaps the lady who lost the gold brooch in Holywood is not connected.
John

Offline jnomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 September 21 19:11 BST (UK) »
Wow! I've been doing errands while the replies accumulated.

I think you have revealed the main thing I hoped to find out from a gravestone, if someone knew what was meant by the family burying-ground and someone found a grave with a helpful inscription: namely the maiden name of the wife of Henry McLorinan, who died at Castle Street Antrim in 1875. It was already established that the Rev. Thomas McLorinan was uncle of Lizzie, daughter of John McDowell (died Antrim 1886), who was almost certainly a son-in-law of Henry McLorinan. So Thomas was a son of Henry McLorinan, and the mother you have found for him, born Martha Mackey, was Henry McLorinan's wife, mother-in-law of John McDowell.

I haven't found a record of her death. Maybe it didn't get a civil record, as seems to have been the case with her son Thomas McLorinan. Or maybe it was before civil records started.

I had looked for Martha McLorinan as a daughter of Henry McL, because the Valuation Revision Books for 1867-1881 have a house on Castle Street with Henry McLorinan crossed out and replaced by Martha, presumably when Henry died. And I had found the death of Martha McL, spinster, and noted that it was reported by John Simpson, whose marriage (if it's the same person) to Mary McL I had found, tentatively identifying Mary as a daughter of "my" Henry. About Martha, I was given pause by her father being described as a shopkeeper, not a farmer. And come to think of it, what is the profession of Mary's father on that marriage certificate? Kiltaglassan's enhancement doesn't make that end of the certificate much clearer; might it actually be grocer, not farmer as I was assuming? There was a grocer (and haberdasher) Henry McLorinan on Main Street Antrim in 1870 (also the Misses McLorinan, haberdashers; daughters?), and I had thought that must be a different Henry McLorinan. Is it possible that one person was called a farmer in some records and a grocer/shopkeeper in others?

I had found Alexander Mackey on the list of Methodist ministers in Ireland when I was looking for more on Thomas McLorinan, and the name intrigued me for a quite other reason. I have been interested in finding a Thomas Parker for John McDowell's eldest son to be named after. (The first two, Thomas Parker McD and Henry McLorinan McD, used all three names in many contexts. The youngest, John junior, seems to have been just John. Having a middle name seems to have been significant.) Now Henry McLorinan McD had a friend Alexander Mackey Parker (born Antrim 1841), who was a witness at Henry's marriage and later the father-in-law of Henry's daughter Elizabeth. The Rev. Alexander Mackey, a bachelor, wasn't anyone's father-in-law, but perhaps Alexander Mackey Parker was named after a charismatic preacher, as was also apparently not uncommon. I can't resist adding that Lizzie McDowell Stewart's youngest son, so a nephew of Henry McL McD, was called Alex Parker Stewart, according to the 1901 census.

I would still be interested in knowing if anyone knows what was meant by the family burying-ground!

There's a lot else that's intriguing in what you have uncovered. For instance, was Samuel Johnson, father-in-law of John McDowell junior and eponym of his son Samuel Johnson McDowell, a descendant of Mary Mackey and William Johnson? But even without raising new questions, there's plenty for me to digest. Many thanks.