Author Topic: British War and Victory medals proof of serving overseas ?  (Read 617 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British War and Victory medals proof of serving overseas ?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 September 21 12:14 BST (UK) »
who would be eligible for the British War medal

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_War_Medal for BWM eligibility
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 September 21 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the answers - that is a great help.   I had looked online to find out about the medals but couldn't make sense of it.  I will take a closer look / read of the link you have sent.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 September 21 16:20 BST (UK) »
A little tale in connection with my posting.  I discovered over last couple of days that the two younger brothers of Frank Henry Edgington were also in WW1.  Alec in Army and Albert in Navy.   I only had the two boys on census with their family and nothing about them.   Alec was also in Salonika 1917 - 1919.  I had been trying to track down and borrow old family photographs from the extended family to be able to scan and print off to go with FH.   Having made the discovery of the 3 brothers having been in uniform I was suddenly reminded last night of a photograph I had seen of what I was told was FHE in his uniform but the other 4 men in photo were thought to be just friends of his.  I remembered one was in uniform of Navy and one of Army !   And so I have now identified the chaps as being three brothers.  There were 5 brothers and there are 5 men in photo, other 2 not in uniform, so I am thinking, there is a chance it could be the 5 brothers.   And it is such things which keep us going back for more !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA