Author Topic: 1st Staffordshire Militia .  (Read 301 times)

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1st Staffordshire Militia .
« on: Saturday 04 September 21 11:05 BST (UK) »
Are there any records available for the 1st Staffordshire militia from 1855?
Thanks

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Staffordshire Militia .
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 September 21 23:14 BST (UK) »
Records are in the Staffordshire County Record Office

Eastgate Street
Stafford
England
ST16 2LZ
Telephone: 01785 278 379
Fax: 01785 278 384
Email: staffordshire.record.office@staffordshire.gov.uk

According to the National Archive website there are 9 packets, indexed as:
Staffordshire Militia, 1st battalion. 1854-5, 1855, 1856, 1857-8, 1859, 1860(2), 1861(2)
Reference:    D260/M/F/5/7/1

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 20:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Phil.
I will email them for information.

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 September 21 19:34 BST (UK) »
UPDATE
For Information, I got a reply from Staffordshire county record office.

Thank you for your email.

As a general rule we do not have military records here, if that is what you are enquiring about. The local militia forces did not keep any official or systematic records, and we have no collection for the overall Staffordshire Militia. We normally refer people to military records kept at The National Archives, or Military Museums. There is a Museum of the Staffordshire Regiment at Whittington Barracks. There is also a collection of the Lancers at Stoke City Archives. But we have no other particular information about the records of other regiments.

If you are interested in more standard sources of family or local history connected with your family, please get back in touch. Our Anglican parish registers up to 1900 are almost entirely on the FindMyPast website. To find the Staffordshire Collection select All Record Sets then type Staffordshire into the search box. You may also be interested in our website www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk which features a wide variety of different collections containing names.

Offline Jack TT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 September 21 20:11 BST (UK) »
Another update, again , for information only! I copied Philip's information on the 9 packets and I received the following reply:

The catalogue description is not very informative, though actually the series heading for these batches does state correspondence and returns. I have looked at the documents in any case, and confirm that this description is correct. They include letters form the war Department and Horse Guards. I saw one in passing recommending someone as a surgeon. It is not impossible that there are more references to specific people, so you will be welcome to make a personal visit to look through these. There is one box for series D260/M/F/5/7/1-2, for instance. Series /3-5 also relate to the militia. Please let us know if you wish to do this. Bookings need to be made in advance and documents pre-ordered. If you know his date of transfer from the militia then that will help to narrow down what you need to look at.

So looks like I will have to take a long journey to see the files!