Author Topic: A 1726 Baptism of Andrew PALMER in Kingsclere. Berkshire or Hampshire?  (Read 458 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
A 1726 Baptism of Andrew PALMER in Kingsclere. Berkshire or Hampshire?
« on: Sunday 05 September 21 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
I realise that much that is put on the Ancestry Public trees is often erroneous or copied from another tree without checking the primary sources...
So, in my search along the ancestral trails of the PALMER family in the Reading area of Berkshire, I have come across a 23rd January 1726 baptism for an Andrew PALMER at "Kingsclere, Hampshire."
Now, enjoying my horse racing as I do, I'm fully aware of the wonderful thoroughbreds that have been trained by the Balding family at Kingsclere Stables, which of course are in Berkshire.
Could somebody perhaps tell me whether in fact this baptism nearly 300 years ago (yes!) took place in the County of Berks or Hants?
Many thanks, Keith

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A 1726 Baptism of Andrew PALMER in Kingsclere. Berkshire or Hampshire?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 September 21 13:18 BST (UK) »
As far as I can make out, Kingsclere is a village and parish in the ancient county of Hampshire. I can not find any trace of a Kingsclere elsewhere.

Edit: I meant to add that the village of Kingsclere is only 8 miles from Newbury  where the Balding's have their stables.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 September 21 13:45 BST (UK) »
The baptism was at St Mary, Kingsclere, Hampshire (Freereg)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 September 21 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that elucidation with the geography of the area, AllanUK.  Kingsclere Stables must simply be the name of the centre Andrew Balding trains from now.  His father Ian sent out Mill Reef from there, didn't he, about 50 years ago?
And hi again, Rosie, I'll look for that baptism now.  Looking at today's map, Kingsclere isn't at all far from the Reading area.
Keith
Found it, Father: Andrew Mother: Sarah.
Hadn't used FreeReg before, very good...

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 September 21 14:49 BST (UK) »
Andrew Balding's training establishment is definitely in Kingsclere, not Newbury.  It's called Park House Stables and is on the south side of the village.  Kingsclere is in Hampshire, but only about 4 miles outside the boundary with Berkshire, and as you say, quite close to Reading.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 September 21 14:59 BST (UK) »
Andrew Balding stables contact address as per his web site:

DIRECTIONS
Park House Stables, Kingsclere, Newbury, RG20 5PY

As we all agree, Kingsclere is Hampshire but Andrew Balding thinks otherwise -- a bit strange that the postal address shows a Berkshire post code.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 September 21 15:23 BST (UK) »
Andrew Balding stables contact address as per his web site:

DIRECTIONS
Park House Stables, Kingsclere, Newbury, RG20 5PY

As we all agree, Kingsclere is Hampshire but Andrew Balding thinks otherwise -- a bit strange that the postal address shows a Berkshire post code.

Newbury is the postal town and RG is the code for Reading.  Postcodes have no relation to counties. 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 September 21 15:29 BST (UK) »
Sloe Gin,
Thanks for putting us straight there,!  The PALMER family didn't migrate that far from this area from one generation to the next.  And I bet they got more mail deliveries a day than we do now, postal codes or not...
Keith

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 September 21 16:08 BST (UK) »
Back in the Mill Reef days my mother used to get a lot of wrong number phone calls for Ian Balding as there was only one digit difference in the numbers (they've all changed since then).  ;D

What can be confusing about postal addresses as that often the name of the village gets omitted, so that the address appears to be in Newbury when in fact it's a village miles away.  Obviously if people are going by the correct post code in their satnav, they will find the right place, but it could be very misleading.