Author Topic: Help with finding a passenger list record  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding a passenger list record
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 September 21 13:48 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the Charleville Times on Trove only extends to 1954 but you could ask the State Library if they could look for an obituary in that newspaper for the week following his death.  Make sure you give them his exact date of death.

They will generally do an hour of research for you.

http://askslq.altarama.com/reft100.aspx?pmi=4eEUC9r8gn

Debra  :)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 September 21 14:04 BST (UK) »

on his wedding certificate it states his age as 22 in 1888, but on his headstone in 1955
it says he was 95 when he passed. Now I am not the best at maths, but even to me that seems a bit off.

As I haven't found any birth/baptism record for him in Ireland I believe he was born before their official records were brought in in 1864. So I am estimating he could be born from 1860-1865.

I've started searching NSW passenger lists. So far I've searched the assisted lists of the 1880's up to 1888 and back to 1875. No hits yet. I should probably try Victorian records as well. I just thought it was more likely that he would have arrived somewhere in Qld.

His name is William McKnight. I have tried looking for MacKnight, McKnight, Knight in case spelling was incorrect. I can't really go on age, but location should be Armagh and occupation is Tailor. I'm not definite on religion, it could be Church of Ireland or Presbyterian. His younger siblings were baptised in church of Ireland but he got married in a Presbyterian church.

Is this William's death entry?

William McKnight
Death 18 Aug 1955
Death Place:   Queensland
Father's Name:   John
Mother's Name:   Sarah Jane Forde
Registration Year:   1955
Registration Place:   Queensland
Registration Number:   B009358
Page Number:   1704

I have the Kavanagh's arrival in qld when Sarah was 3 yro.

Is this Sarah's arrival year?

Surname:   Cavanagh
Given:   Sarah
Ship Polmaise
Year 1872
Maryborough, Queensland Australia Immigrants from the British Isles & Germany 1861-91

Might this be William Mcknight?

Surname:   Knight
Given:   William
Ship Scottish Hero
Year 1886
Maryborough, Queensland Australia Immigrants from the British Isles & Germany 1861-91

There is no image for either record just the transcript

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 September 21 14:17 BST (UK) »
I had a look at that one on the Scottish Hero and he was from Oxford.

Offline IrishAussie16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 September 21 14:55 BST (UK) »
Yes that is the death entry for my William McKnight. That is all the information I have currently for it. Going on who was still alive when he passed, there was my great grandmother Ivy, her sister Sarah and William Jr. So maybe one of them would have been an informant? Ivy and William Jr stayed in Charleville, not sure about sarah. But Ivy and sarah paid for the headstone with what I assume was his correct age, so maybe they knew more about his Irish history?

That is the correct entry for Sarah Jane's arrival.

So the William you found, most of it seems like it would roughly fit, but did it say Oxford was where he was from or where he got on the ship? I have considered that his last name might be down as Knight but I'm sure he would have down either Ireland or Armagh as where he was from.

I haven't found an obituary for him. I should probably ask my relatives if they have it. But if they don't, would it be through the state library for achieves to find it? Or maybe if there is a historical society out that way they might have newspapers from the 50's? 
Yourell, McComiskey, Collins, Dawson, Ashton, McKnight, Bilsborough, Riethmuller

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 September 21 16:13 BST (UK) »
There are 27 family trees for this family on Ancestry. Perhaps one of those relations might be able to assist.
I had a quick look at Trove newspapers and one article in 1908 mentions him being supplied liquor whilst being a prohibited person.
If the information you seek is not on the death certificate, maybe he was in prison at some stage and from what I have seen they could have immigration details listed. Worth investigating.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 September 21 01:42 BST (UK) »

I haven't found an obituary for him. I should probably ask my relatives if they have it. But if they don't, would it be through the state library for achieves to find it? Or maybe if there is a historical society out that way they might have newspapers from the 50's?

Please see my reply #9.

Offline IrishAussie16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 September 21 03:01 BST (UK) »
Debra - I submitted a request to the librarian with your link. Just waiting for a response whether they can help or not. Fingers crossed they can.

Katherine - I have to check, but looking at the year, he had a son with the same name and I think he may have been a minor at the time. As William snr is on the electoral roll quite consistently through the 1900's and if you were sent to jail they take you off it and you have to re-enrol when you get out.
Yourell, McComiskey, Collins, Dawson, Ashton, McKnight, Bilsborough, Riethmuller

Offline IrishAussie16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 04:26 BST (UK) »
I got a reply from the librarian researcher for an obituary. Unfortunately it wasn't very helpful for my research. All it contained was a thank you from my great grandmother (William's oldest daughter) and her husband thanking everyone for attending William's funeral. So I guess the next option is his death certificate?
I was reading a Queensland Genealogist's webpage and it said that some death certificates are on the qld archives website and available for free. It didn't say what years that would pertain to. Would 1955 be included in that? I just have to work out which section to search for it...

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 11:28 BST (UK) »
The following you have probably already seen. It fits with age on marriage. I would not strike it off you list without considering. Even though it is the workhouse she may have needed to go there for medical assistance and could account for no husband listed. Its a possibility.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1866/03522/2295989.pdf

His brother:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1874/03153/2156695.pdf