Author Topic: Hard to reconcile 60 cM match  (Read 584 times)

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hard to reconcile 60 cM match
« on: Wednesday 08 September 21 13:14 BST (UK) »
On myHeritage I have two relatively close matches to me who have no significant size shared matches.

One is a 60 cM match, with most of her recent ancestry in Australia with the only common names going back to Cornwall in the 17th century (but they do not appear to be the same family)

This match appears to be on my maternal side as she is not a shared match with a 1C and two 2C on the paternal side. One set of maternal great grandparents, from whom I have a lot of matches, can also be ruled out as none of these are shared matches.

Could the connection to this match actually be further back than a 4th cousin?

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hard to reconcile 60 cM match
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 September 21 18:43 BST (UK) »
On myHeritage I have two relatively close matches to me who have no significant size shared matches.

One is a 60 cM match, with most of her recent ancestry in Australia with the only common names going back to Cornwall in the 17th century (but they do not appear to be the same family)

This match appears to be on my maternal side as she is not a shared match with a 1C and two 2C on the paternal side. One set of maternal great grandparents, from whom I have a lot of matches, can also be ruled out as none of these are shared matches.

Could the connection to this match actually be further back than a 4th cousin?
I have one at 60cM as 4th once removed.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 September 21 18:47 BST (UK) »
It could be a double link. I have a 3rd cousin whose shared DNA suggests a 2nd cousin relationship. After a lot of investigation I found  that we are related mainly via my paternal grandfather's line  but also via my paternal grandmother's.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 September 21 18:54 BST (UK) »
It could be a double link. I have a 3rd cousin whose shared DNA suggests a 2nd cousin relationship. After a lot of investigation I found  that we are related mainly via my paternal grandfather's line  but also via my paternal grandmother's.
Yes could be that. Obviously more likely if a lot of your ancestors come from the same area. I have a few of those but in the smaller low 30cMs.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 September 21 19:15 BST (UK) »
It's not necessarily overtly locality. 

My paternal line included many coal mining families. These families moved far and wide  to most of the coal mining regions of GB (and many to other countries). The particular cousin that I'm thinking of was descended from a female relative of my grd father, whose family had moved to Yorkshire. Her mother was descended from another local family, who had moved to the Midlands and then to Yorkshire.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 September 21 20:38 BST (UK) »
It's not necessarily overtly locality. 

My paternal line included many coal mining families. These families moved far and wide  to most of the coal mining regions of GB (and many to other countries). The particular cousin that I'm thinking of was descended from a female relative of my grd father, whose family had moved to Yorkshire. Her mother was descended from another local family, who had moved to the Midlands and then to Yorkshire.
Well yes, my double connections are only vaguely because family came from the similar area, and come from ancestral lines in adjacent counties, completely unrelated to each other.