Author Topic: Argentina BMD records.  (Read 210 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Argentina BMD records.
« on: Thursday 09 September 21 07:38 BST (UK) »
I never looked much into the family of my relative Florence Mary Hancox (b Berkswell Warks 1884) because she married a man with the common surname of Cooke. I knew that she had four children - although I can't find this family on the 1911 her husband joined up in 1916 and helpfully gave names and DoBs of his children, confirmed by GRO records. But with no sign of them in 1939, I'd decided to wait for the 1921.

Just as well I didn't. He was William Llewelyn Cooke (b 1879 Llangollen) and I idly googled him. Imagine my surprise when he and Florence were named as the parents of the bride Ethel Ivy Cooke born Knowle 1905, to one Baron Lodewijk Jan Taets von Amerongen at Huinca Renanco, Entre Rios, Argentina in 1927! (He was a Dutch aristocrat and the curious can look up this family on Wikipedia). He was 18 years her senior and this was his 2nd marriage.

I found this on the site geneagraphie.com which despite appearances seems to be a personal hobby site. The info is repeated on geni.com which others here have found to be unreliable. Yet the detail is so specific that I can't believe anyone made it up. The problem is that I can't find this record or anything about this Cooke family in Argentine records, at least those listed by familysearch - the page does note that many indexes are incomplete, and provinces outside Buenos Aires are not as well covered.

To save people repeating my searches, I have found shipping records for William L travelling to Argentina in 1919, shortly followed by Florence and family, then the couple travelling to Britain and back in 1928 with two seemingly new children Raymond 7 and Joyce 5. And in 1938 Wiliam visits again with one Olga Elfrida Cooke 35, Joyce 15 and a toddler. On their return journey they bring "Ramond" 17 - had he just completed his education in England? Son Ernest Walter Cooke, clerk, makes separate journeys to Britain coinciding with theirs.

I don't know if Olga is William's much younger second wife or Ernest's somewhat older first one, but I'd like to find out. Either way, she is surely the mother of the toddler? Note that William, described as a painter at his marriage and at the baptisms of his daughters in Temple Balsall, but a surveyor at his call-up in 1916 and an "inspector" on his travels by ship. So something of a self-made man.

Caveats - there is another Ernest Walter Cooke born earlier 1907 in Warwickshire, but all his life events are in Coventry. My Cookes had moved to Wolverhampton by 1916. There are many George Edward Cookes even limiting to c1910 births. Eldest Hilda Eveline 1904 is given MMN "Hacox" by the GRO. Temple Balsall is a very small place near to the bigger Knowle. A 10-year gap between children is unusual but not unheard of. I have evidence of Lodewijk and Ethel's deaths.

Anybody out there know of any other Argentine sources, and/or can better my minimal Spanish in interpreting these sites? Sorry that this is a long post but I wanted to give all info and not let people unnecessarlly repeat my searches.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Argentina BMD records.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 September 21 13:30 BST (UK) »
OK so nobody has any idea. Or maybe the long post put people off, but I do this so that Rootschatters don't waste time searching for what I already have.

I'll try another tack - does anyone know of a site similar to Rootschat for Latin America? Would be in Spanish, obviously, but I could use a translator.

Coda to previous post - I can find no record for Raymond and Joyce in any source for British subjects born abroad. I find this odd. Maybe these records are incomplete - most from Argentina seem to be from the capital region.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline djm297

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 September 21 15:12 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this helps:

William Llewellyn Cooke is listed here:https://www.fcbap.ca/railways/volunteers.htm as a member of staff of the Buenos Ayres and Pacific Railway Company who volunteered for Active Service 1914-18 and who resided in Argentina at the outbreak of war. Was he perhaps part of one of the Welsh families who emigrated to Patagonia from 1865 onwards?

djm297

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 September 21 16:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this djm. William was listed as Rail inspector on one journey, on another purely as inspector. It looks very much as if he was working on the railway in the north-east of Argentina, which is where Entre Rios province is, and where he returned to in 1919.

No ship movements for him in the period 1910-18 though. Perhaps he was already in Argentina in 1911, which is why he can't be found on that census. Maybe his family were with him, or maybe they stayed at home which would explain why no children for a decade.

This is nowhere near the Welsh colony in Patagonia, centred in the area inland from Puerto Madryn. Argentina has or had quite a rail network, but little in the underpopulated south. Although Wiliam was born in Wales and given the middle name Llewelyn, his family seem to be from Coventry.

Chris

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 September 21 20:21 BST (UK) »
Anybody out there know of any other Argentine sources, and/or can better my minimal Spanish in interpreting these sites? Sorry that this is a long post but I wanted to give all info and not let people unnecessarlly repeat my searches.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about BMD sites for Argentina. But I'm happy to try to help with translations from Spanish to English.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Walker Home for Missionary Children
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 September 21 20:36 BST (UK) »
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 September 21 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Annie and Erato. I'll have a look at that site tomorrow and see if there's anything I can use - at least there are a few people I could try emailing if they turn out to be relevant.