Author Topic: India births  (Read 621 times)

Offline Blairvadach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: India births
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 08:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing your story and the information Sanpiep.
I don’t know if his wife went with him in all his postings as he was stationed all over the world prior to going to India.

Offline Blairvadach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 16:38 BST (UK) »
I have found John Murphy’s death certificate…he died in 1890.
Can anyone help confirm what it says under hand loom weaver…is it ….army pension?
Thanks

Offline Blairvadach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 19:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, its really seems to be him except for the dates because when he enlisted in 1854 it says he's only 16. If he married in 1853 then he would have only been 15. I will keep looking. Find my past has all the info.
I have found his death certificate…he died in 1890 aged 53, living in Glasgow at the same address as the 1891 census where  his wife and two children are still living.
He could have been 16 when he married and sixteen when he signed up as this would depend on his dob!!!
I wonder if he deliberately went to Glasgow, Scotland to get married as you can legally marry at 16. On the marriage certificate it only states that they live in the parish.
He certainly had an eventful life moving around the world.
Thanks again for your help and information it’s much appreciated. I am trying to do a “ who do you think you are” book for my children and grandchildren with relevant world history/events to put into context their ancestors lives.

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 22:55 BST (UK) »
So young to be married but I agree, this is definitely him.
Like yourself, I also do this for my children and grandchildren. They may not be interested while they are young but as they get older, their thoughts change.
I have attempted to make albums for each line of my family with photos, certificates etc. Everything is handwritten. It's a lot of work and there are constant errors crossed out but it is written by me personally. It's a labour of love.
Enjoy your research!

Offline Blairvadach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 07:53 »
Service record

John Murphy
Service no. 3472 Prince of Wales regiment of foot
Service 20 years 239 days
Malta and Ionian Islands 5y 1m
Crimea 1y 4m
West indies 4y 2m
East Indies 8y 2m

Discharge sitapur 3 January 1877 being found unfit for further service.

Conduct record
Has been very good and is in possession of four good conduct badges. He has been conferred on him the Crimea medal with a clasp for sevastopol, the Turkish Crimea medal, and the medal for long service and good conduct. He is not in possession of a certificate of education.
His name has never been entered in the defaulters book, he has never been tried by court martial nor convicted by the civil power.

Attested 14th regt of foot from 10 may 1854 to 9th may 1856 UNDER AGE!

Medical record
Sheffield 1 march 1866
There's a few more but can't quite read them, hepatitis, ophthalmic and fevers at different locations in hospital.
Discharged unfit and returned to England 28 Dec 1876 on account of fever.

Hi Middlesborough
sorry for being a pest....I am trying to work out the maths and John must have went to Crimea in his first posting as the Crimean war was in 1854!!!! Does his service record concur?
Thanks 

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 08:51 »
15 may 1854   the 1/14 embarked at Ireland on 25 April 1854. Arrived at Malta 15 may.
July the detachment of the 14th regiment marched from fort Ricasoli to Strada Torra Barracks Valletta.
10 October. In the annual garrison turnover, 1/14 moved from Auberge de Castille and Fort Manoel to Floriana Barracks.
December 1854. The 14th regiment (654 men) and the Royal Malta Fencible Regiment (557) were the only two regiments to garrison the island when the Expeditionary Force sailed for the Crimea. The Men occupied the lower St Elmo Barracks and Floriana Barracks.

28 august 1858. Embarked for Ionian Islands.

Offline Blairvadach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 09:22 »
15 may 1854   the 1/14 embarked at Ireland on 25 April 1854. Arrived at Malta 15 may.
July the detachment of the 14th regiment marched from fort Ricasoli to Strada Torra Barracks Valletta.
10 October. In the annual garrison turnover, 1/14 moved from Auberge de Castille and Fort Manoel to Floriana Barracks.
December 1854. The 14th regiment (654 men) and the Royal Malta Fencible Regiment (557) were the only two regiments to garrison the island when the Expeditionary Force sailed for the Crimea. The Men occupied the lower St Elmo Barracks and Floriana Barracks.

28 august 1858. Embarked for Ionian Islands.

Hi Middlesbrough
Thanks very much for this invaluable information and your quick reply. He was only 16 when he embarked on this journey....what he must have witnessed and taken part in in his 21 years of army service is unimaginable!!
I think I will need to be requesting a membership to Find My Past from Santa to find out more.