Author Topic: Apprenticed after father's death?  (Read 569 times)

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Apprenticed after father's death?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 September 21 18:33 BST (UK) »
According to the livery company website tha average age for apprentices was between 14 and 21,
It’s an apprenticeship for a livery company, bringing with it on completion the freedom of the city of London and the right to trade in the square mile.

Mike
Many thanks!

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 September 21 19:50 BST (UK) »
It is not uncommon for the apprentice's father to be deceased when he begins the apprenticeship.
Among my own ancestors, there are at least four young teenagers/boys who began their apprenticeship after the death of their father.  In one case the mother was the sponsor.

Since there would potentially be a freedom of the city available to Benjamin if he completed the full term, it might be worth looking at the Freedom of the City Admission Papers London (which can be accessed on Ancestry perhaps at your local library) to see if Benjamin is listed.  I was led there by a random entry in a county database and I found two indentures which were helpful in explaining where these country boys had ended up!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulStaffs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 September 21 20:20 BST (UK) »
It is not uncommon for the apprentice's father to be deceased when he begins the apprenticeship.
Among my own ancestors, there are at least four young teenagers/boys who began their apprenticeship after the death of their father.  In one case the mother was the sponsor.

Since there would potentially be a freedom of the city available to Benjamin if he completed the full term, it might be worth looking at the Freedom of the City Admission Papers London (which can be accessed on Ancestry perhaps at your local library) to see if Benjamin is listed.  I was led there by a random entry in a county database and I found two indentures which were helpful in explaining where these country boys had ended up!

Nell
Good idea, many thanks.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 September 21 21:23 BST (UK) »
"What of the trade" ?

Innholders - might that not give an impression that an apprentice might have to be a little "older" than an apprentice in other trades - shoemaking, engineering etc. 

I could, of course, be entirely wrong>  :-X
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 September 21 21:33 BST (UK) »
You may be able to find any Freedom records on this site. London Livery records.

https://www.londonroll.org/search

I have several ancestors who did apprenticeships, some whose parents were still alive, some who were both dead or just one of them dead. I found out about a few in the 1700s through settlement examinations and cannot find an actual apprenticeship in the Duties Paid for Indentures for the years they cover, so this indicates it was a paupers apprenticeship.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain