Author Topic: St Monica's Convent Longford Tasmania - photo?  (Read 111 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Monica's Convent Longford Tasmania - photo?
« on: Saturday 11 September 21 04:28 BST (UK) »
Dear Researchers,

Following my sucessful reunion with the family of my great granduncle Arthur Adam Clarkson (aka CARLTON) I am now researching his children. I am looking for any photos of St Monica's Convent school at Longford, Tasmania. Can't find any online - does the school still exist? Hope someone can help. cheers, Louise
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Monica's Convent Longford Tasmania - photo?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 September 21 10:56 BST (UK) »
“ In 1903 St Monica's convent was opened at Longford. Attached to the convent was a large classroom that closed in 1911.”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentation_Sisters

There are contact details if you wish to contact them to see if they have photos:
http://presentationsociety.org.au/congregations/tasmania/

An informative article here:
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/153898019?searchTerm=Presentation%20sisters%20Longford%20Tasmania

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 September 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Ruskie - thank you so much for that information. the Convent still seemed to be there in the 1920's, but perhaps they had stopped educating children at that point. Very unusual that I cannot find a single photo of the convent, after the massive drive to find funds and build it. I found many references to it in TROVE, but not where it was. the article you quoted mentioned a church, but I could not find that either - the only older RC church in Longford appears to be St Augustine's. Whether the convent was nearby is not recorded. I'll take your advice and contact the Presentation sisters. thanks, Louise
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 September 21 22:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, oddly there is a reasonable amount of information but at the same time no clue as to the location. You wouldn’t expect there to be too many convents/schools or Catholic Churches in a small place like Longford.  :-\

Tassie is pretty good with their preservation of buildings so hopefully the Church has survived. Fingers crossed.

Let us know if you get a reply from The Sisters.  :)