Author Topic: US navy enlistment  (Read 252 times)

Offline frenchcoco

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
US navy enlistment
« on: Saturday 11 September 21 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all !
Can someone help me to understand the following document. I found my gg-father's name on this document but I don't understand its meaning. Does It means that my gg-father enlisted in the US navy ? How is it possible as far as he was a British citizen ?
Thanks for your help.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: US navy enlistment
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 September 21 10:58 BST (UK) »

Hi,

You have mistakenly posted on the Armed Forces Resources board which is for resources not queries.

I have asked a moderator to move your request to the Armed Forces board where you might find an answer.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline frenchcoco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 September 21 11:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the mistake :-[. Thanks for your help.

Offline Bob C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 September 21 12:19 BST (UK) »
Citizenship has never been a requirement for enlistment in the US military going all the way back to 1776. Officers are  required to be citizens by law. So long as the individual meets  all other  requirements for enlistment they will be accepted. A major benefit is that serving in the military currently reduces the time requirement to gain citizenship significantly. Currently, one must live in the US for  5 years before applying but the time period is waived for current military members as are all fees for citizenship application. After the declaration of war on terror is revoked the max time in the military will be 1 year.

Offline frenchcoco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 September 21 08:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bob C. So, my gg-father, CW Paris, really enlisted in the US army. Do you know about documents that I can check to know more about his "career" in the US Navy ?

Offline Bob C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 September 21 12:38 BST (UK) »
Pre 1917 military records are held by the National Archives and Records Administration facility in Washington, DC. This includes US Army enlisted records 1789-1912 and US Navy enlisted records 1798-1885. Due to Covid-19 they are currently closed to the public and operating with severely limited staff (St Louis which is the main US repository for WW2 personnel records has only 10% of staff working). There may be a charge for copies of records but they will notify you of what they are before you get them. It cost me $70.00 to get 147 pages of my father's Navy records from 1945-1965. At https://www.archives.gov/dc is an email address which I would use to find out more information. Good Hunting!

Offline frenchcoco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 September 21 13:00 BST (UK) »
thanks a lot for all these informations.