Author Topic: Charles henry briggs.  (Read 4972 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles henry briggs.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 September 21 13:31 BST (UK) »
You say:
I don't know yet what happened to Betsey, born 1849
Charles H, born 1854 and presumably died before 1858
John, born abt 1860.

Please see my reply #14

NSW BMD shows this death which is probably for the first child; no parent names are shown on this index.

NSW 1855
Charles BRIGGS, Infant
M1094/1855 V18551094 43A 

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 September 21 13:51 BST (UK) »
May I suggest that it would be sensible to consider purchasing an official transcription of the 1876 m.c.  it is entirely possible that the shared copy you are relying on at present has had non certified information added by well intented family history buffs without citing the sources.  The official transcription will have all the information recorded on the NSW bdm record and may well have blanks for details in some columns as from your recent tepky, it seems the record has not been officially fully reconciled to the Rev Boag's register/s.   

Have you considered providing the names of the witnesses to that marriage? 

Red Post.... yes,  most likely thats the burial.  It will have scant info, but it will have clergy by name and cemetery, so the church record may be with the rest of the Diocese archival records...   again, the official transcripton is tge less expensive option.

JM.

I have added info, and sorted spelling, so see next post as it is updated version.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 September 21 14:07 BST (UK) »
Deleted,  triplicate ....  ::) sorry
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 13 September 21 14:14 BST (UK) »
May I suggest that it would be sensible to consider purchasing an official transcription of the 1876 m.c.  it is entirely possible that the ishared copy you are relying on at present has had non certified information added by well intented family history buffs without citing the sources.  The official transcription will have all the information recorded on the NSW bdm record and may well have blanks for details in some columns as from your recent reply, it seems the record has not been officially fully reconciled to the Rev Boag's register/s.   Sorry but you are seeking to confirm that the chap who married in 1876 is the son of the chap who died in 1858 and the mum, Ann nee the most popular surname, SMITH, a widowed lady who was admitted with several of her children to the Benevolent Society's facilities in the early 1860s and her children then spent much of their childhood as though orphans.

Have you considered providing the names of the witnesses to that marriage? 

Red Post.... yes,  most likely thats the burial.  It will have scant info, but it will have clergy by name and cemetery, so the church record may be with the rest of the Diocese archival records...   again, the official transcripton is tge less expensive option.

JM.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 13 September 21 14:34 BST (UK) »
The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser 6 Nov 1880 p3
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/813204?
IF this should MEET the EYE of JOHN BRIGGS age 19 years, native of Goulburn, NSW will he please send his address to his brother.

Charles Briggs
Nelsons Plains
Raymond Terrace

Australian Town and Country Journal 11 Dec 1880 p5
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/70950522?
WANTED, the address of John BRIGGS, a native of Goulburn, 19 years old. Last heard
of living with Dr. DOWE, Tamworth, N.S.W. Anyone knowing his whereabouts please address to his Brother CHARLES BRIGGS, Nelson's Plains, Raymond Terrace.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 13 September 21 23:21 BST (UK) »

Dr Joshua DOWE, M.D. had died in 1875.   NSW BDM #9920/1875. 
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/223584606  NSW Govt Gaz 14 Sept 1875
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/70585245  Aust Town & Country 11 Sep 1875

Grevilles PO Directory, Tamworth, 1875
Joshua DOWE, M.D., Marius Street.   

NSW Electoral roll 1878 THE LOWER HUNTER
Charles BRIGGS, residence, Nelson's Plains  (JM notes there are no others with that surname listed on that roll, but that others on that roll include many with more than just one given name  :) )

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 06:18 BST (UK) »
Wivenhoe, I have from the Sydney Benevolent Asylum a printed list of the admission/discharge details of the Briggs members that I requested. I've asked for all relevant documents about them. This will take a bit longer and there is a fee.

I haven't been able to see a marriage document for Ann and George brown yet. Just on Ancestry trees and on the marriage registration that I have for Ann and third husband Frederick Rice.

Not sure what you mean about John's birth being after the death of Charles H Briggs 1858.

Sandie.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/263975349 Yass Courier 9  July 1864.     

On the 5th of July, at the Wesleyan Church, Gunning, by license, by the Rev. W. Hill, Mr. Simon Brown widower, to Mrs. Ann Frances Bryan, widow, both of Frankfield; New South Wales.

A submitted tree has that marriage to support their belief that Ann, the widow of William BRIGGS, married a Mr Brown who died at Muttama 23 June 1876.  I expect that marriage will be NSW BDM 3451/1864, and I expect it to have the usual elusive blanks, just as I expect her next marriage will also have elusive blanks.  Annie Frances BROWN next married Frederick RICE 27 December 1876. NSW BDM 2802/1876.

Here is a thread from the NSW resources board here at RChat.  I did this thread up years and years ago, and it is now quite long.  But it explains about those elusive blanks in columns 5,7, 9 and 10 of the NSW BDM marriage certificates (same column numbers whether landscape or portrait, just the location of the endorsement by NSW BDM for reconciliation can vary). 

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546609.0

Please do consider obtaining fresh official transcriptions.  Here is another link re NSW official transcription services. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

I am attaching a snip showing the endorsement in 1915 of a Presbyterian marriage (Scots Church, Sydney) and they had progressed through 356 church registers (that's not just Presbyterian ones !) by that stage, when the admin staff (clerks) were needed either to pass medicals to enlist or if not fit enough, to at least be available for all the clerical admin duties supporting the AIF.  All longhand written info at that time was recorded on pre-printed forms, no typewriters except for official letters.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 06:40 BST (UK) »
https://www.nsw.gov.au/births-deaths-marriages/about-us/history-of-registry

The task of reconciling the early church records and amending the marriage registrations was never finalised. Therefore, the Registry's records from these years are not complete. It is recommended that people wanting as much information as possible about an official event check the original church record. In this way, details missing from a transcribed marriage certificate or a baptism record having no corresponding civil registration record could be located.

Marriage registrations are now required to include the age and birthplace of the parties, their parents' names and occupation of their fathers. These details were required from the 1855 Act, however, while they appeared in a church register they did not appear in the official records.

The widespread use of notification forms for registering events comes into effect. Before this most events were registered following verbal advice from the informant.

JM  :D  :D  :D

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 06:58 BST (UK) »
Well, thanks to JM's good work there, we can discard the assertions in the Ancestry tree which has confused 2 women named Ann BROWN.
 It has asserted that Ann BRIGGS married Simon BROWN. (Wrong) Widowed again, she married Frederick RICE (Wrong )

In fact Ann BRIGGS, our person of interest, partnered with George BROWN.
She did not ever marry Frederick RICE.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk