Author Topic: Charles henry briggs.  (Read 4993 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles henry briggs.
« Reply #81 on: Friday 17 September 21 07:08 BST (UK) »
Well, I suppose I am splitting hairs here but to me it is not likely that BRYAN is  a misnomer for BROWN when at her marriage she was marrying Simon BROWN.

It was not Mrs BROWN widow marrying  Mr BROWN widower.

If she was Mrs BRIGGS marrying Mr BROWN, I find it hard to accept BRIGGS  and BRYAN can be confused orally, aurally or in print as in the newspaper announcement.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 17 September 21 07:33 BST (UK) »
 :) ;D .... yes  Sue, very true.  "ig" could be "y" but "gs" is less likely to be "an".

And  ;D the rellies  ;D have even  looked for the widow, Mrs BRIGGS with a  possible marriage to  a Mr. RYAN ....   but so far, "nothing to report".   

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 17 September 21 08:10 BST (UK) »
Did we ever find the birth index for son John (BRIGGS) born after the death of William BRIGGS in 1858? At the asylum ages 5 ish years in 1865?

A straw to clutch at---- ;D

BRIAN John J
7178/1860
Father JOHN
Mother ANN
At GOULBURN

Sue

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 17 September 21 08:12 BST (UK) »

My comment -
"Where they appear in connection with the BRIGGS family, NSW" 

I am not limiting this to BDM records...the one you cite, or any others.

I am suggesting that when using Trove, WW1 records, Electoral roll, Police Gazette etc....that you consider the need to be flexible with spelling, and include BRIEN etc as a possible variation/ typo error/ transcription error .......for BROWN.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 17 September 21 08:25 BST (UK) »

My comment -
"Where they appear in connection with the BRIGGS family, NSW" 

I am not limiting this to BDM records...the one you cite, or any others.

I am suggesting that when using Trove, WW1 records, Electoral roll, Police Gazette etc....that you consider the need to be flexible with spelling, and include BRIEN etc as a possible variation/ typo error/ transcription error .......for BROWN.

Yes perfectly true.

There was no death notice or other tribute for Hannah   RICE  when she died  in 1900.

I wonder if there was some level of confusion among family members about the various relationships too. ;D

Sue

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 17 September 21 09:07 BST (UK) »

The first newspaper attempt by Charles BRIGGS to contact brother John happens 6 Nov 1880 in a regional newspaper.

One month later, 11 Dec 1880, the notice is now in a newspaper of wider circulation.

Then no other notice.

You might think that Charles BRIGGS interest to contact his brother John  would not be limited to these two efforts.

I suspect that the second notice produced a response. If dead, you might expect to see a death on the NSW index 1869 - 1880 for John BRIGGS.

If John is alive ......a marriage and/or a death.

You might extend the search to QLD, if John is last known to be north of Sydney.

For all that he is identified, by others, as BRIGGS......he might well know who his father is, and use that family name, knowledge that he acquires later in life.

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 17 September 21 10:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for all the wonderful information and help so far.
To be honest, I was seriously thinking of giving the family tree up for good.

But now....... I have so many interesting items to sort through and put in the place where they belong. (Nothing else to do while in lockdown again for the duration)

You are all amazing!

Sandie.

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 17 September 21 23:49 BST (UK) »
The transcription for Charles Henry Briggs and Louisa Kennewell has arrived and a complete waste of money!

No birthplace listed.
No age.
No parents.

For Louisa...
No birthplace.
No age.
No parents.

No occupation for either fathers.

Two witnesses named and the minister who conducted the service.

There isn't anything much on it to help at all.

I'm so frustrated because the document that I have is much fuller.  Where would that one come from?  It looks like it's been scanned from an actual book. You can see the fold in the pages.

Obviously transcriptions aren't reliable for the information you are looking for.

Sandie.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 18 September 21 00:49 BST (UK) »
The transcription for Charles Henry Briggs and Louisa Kennewell has arrived and a complete waste of money!

No birthplace listed.
No age.
No parents.

For Louisa...
No birthplace.
No age.
No parents.

No occupation for either fathers.

Two witnesses named and the minister who conducted the service.

There isn't anything much on it to help at all.

I'm so frustrated because the document that I have is much fuller.  Where would that one come from?  It looks like it's been scanned from an actual book. You can see the fold in the pages.

Obviously transcriptions aren't reliable for the information you are looking for.

Sandie.

It is far better to have obtained an official transcription than to have spent even more $$$$ on the official NSW marriage certificate.  It too will be full of those elusive blanks.   While the document you do already hold has far more details,  you need to know the source of those details, and who put them on that document and if they accurately reflect what is on Rev Boag's register.  ADD***

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546609.0

I mentioned this possibility back at earlier in this thread.

ADD,  at reply #65 of that 'elusive blanks' thread, I mention the Presbyterian Archives

Presbyterians : Ferguson Memorial Library, 168 Chalmers St, SURRY HILLS  ....  you may need to phone them to check if they have Rev Robert BOAG's registers for Raymond Terrace, 1876.

ADD***   (until you know what Rev Boag recorded) .... basically ... umm...  you have not joined the dots back to the brickmaker, William BRIGGS who died 25 December 1858, on your Briggs line, and similar difficulties if you also want to go back on your Kennewell line. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.