Author Topic: Charles henry briggs.  (Read 2911 times)

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles henry briggs.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 September 21 01:33 BST (UK) »
I'm sure you have this snip, but for those interested, this little item about his death supports his birthdate of 1858.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16553821

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 September 21 01:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sparrett, I do have that notice. So sad that he died in the street.
I have two lovely photos of him and Louisa.  One when they were young and the other many years later.  They are my great grandparents.
Sandie.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 September 21 03:10 BST (UK) »
  He was admitted at 6 and a half years old and apprenticed when 13 years. I can't decipher the actual date.
 Is there a way to confirm that this is my ancestor?
Thank you for any help.
Sandie.
Please see my reply #8
To correct your records

Sue

Online majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 September 21 03:56 BST (UK) »
The 1876 marriage registration is indexed at NSW BDM online as registered in the Raymond Terrace district.  While some of the NSW BDM records from the 1870s marriages do have ALL the information that the couples provided to the clergy, those from outside of the Sydney Metro area can contain many blanks, as many of the clergy across all denomination were submitting summary info only due to a long standing dispute with the NSW BDM Registrar General's office...

Charles Henry BRIGGS and Louisa KENNEWELL, Raymond Terrace District #4052/1876

So it is good to know that the 1876 marriage registration for Charles Henry BRIGGS had been fully reconciled by the NSW BDM and that it has full detailed responses in all ten columns, including the occupation for Charles' father.    May I presume that Charles mother's names are ALL recorded, showing her BROWN surname, her former married surname BRIGGS and her maiden surname as well.

As Charles was not yet 21 years of age when he married, the registration ought to record who provided consent for him to marry.   Afterall, he had not yet reached his majority, and thus he could not give his own consent.  The clergy should have recorded those details on the civil registration.

http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/num_act/ma1855n30112/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 September 21 04:17 BST (UK) »
William and Ann BRIGGS had two sons who were baptised Charles Henry BRIGGS at St Saviour's, Goulburn..... (They had more than 2 children baptised at St Saviour's  :)  but two were Christened Charles Henry).

Charles Henry born 22 May 1854, baptised 11 June 1854, C of E, St Saviour, Goulburn by Rev. William J M Hillyar.  William Briggs recorded there as a Brickmaker,  residing Goulburn.   JM notes that the parish register has Anne (with an 'e').

Charles Henry, born 16 June 1858, baptised 11 July 1858, C of E,  St Saviour, Goulburn by Rev William Sowerby.  William Briggs recorded there as a Brickmaker, residing Towrang.  JM notes that the parish register has Ann (without an 'e').

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 September 21 04:51 BST (UK) »
NSW BMD shows this death which is probably for the first child; no parent names are shown on this index.

Charles BRIGGS M1094/1855 V18551094 43A  INFANT

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 September 21 04:54 BST (UK) »
I'm more confused now than when I first posted.
On Charles 1876 marriage registration his mother is only Ann Smith. Her other two married names are not stated.
There is no mention of consent being given.
On Charles birth registration in 1858 it states 5 boys and 3 girls living and 1 boy and 1 girl deceased. I can't account for them all.
On Ann Smith/ Brown/ Rice's death registration it states William C Briggs 52.
Thomas J Briggs 48.
Alice S L 46.
Charles 43.
On William Briggs death registration (1858)
William 10.
Thomas 8.
Betsy 6.
Alice 2 and a half.
Charles 7 months.
I presume the Charles Henry who was born in 1854 had died before 1858.
Sandie.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 September 21 05:03 BST (UK) »
Who was the informant on each of the death certificates?
William's and Ann's
Sue

Online majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 September 21 06:01 BST (UK) »
 :)

NSW BMD shows this death which is probably for the first child; no parent names are shown on this index.

Charles BRIGGS M1094/1855 V18551094 43A  INFANT

Judith

That would be an Early Church Record of a burial.  Civil registration commenced 1 March 1856.    :) 

:)

So focusing on our OPs question re how to confirm if the 1866 admission to Randwick is for the son of the brickmaker, William BRIGGS who died when Charles was 7 months of age ...

Again, from the 1876 marriage ...  Does that record clearly show official  endorsements confirming the date/s that the various church registers were reconciled with the civil registers (dates likely to  fall somewhere  between 1911 to 1915) ....  IF you are looking at the certified copy issued by NSW bdm  it would likely be lower Right hand margin notes....   O R if it is an admin official transcription, it would be as a note at the conclusion. 

I have had a long phone conversation with one of my ancient rellies ... a retired senior officer from NSW bdm.   He confirms it is unusual for the NSW BDM copy of a  regional marriage pre 1880  to be fully reconciled to church registers and thus to include any info about the parents of the couple being married.   He mentioned that as Charles father was deceased, that his mother could have given consent.  The clergy could have been fined 500 pounds for failing to record who provided consent.

So perhaps you need to follow up on the Benevolent Society records prior to the Randwick records.   

I think you need to be looking out for an official record in the 1860s  mentioning Henry as his middle name and naming his mother as Mrs Brown.

Perhaps the official witnesses for the 1876 marriage match up to people who are named in the Randwick records ...  the NSW archives guide lists quite a number of resources that deserve checking, but which may not be online.

JM

Modified to amend some spelling errors.   ::)  lists does not have "u" in it.   :-[ :-[ :-[