Author Topic: Charles henry briggs.  (Read 4994 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles henry briggs.
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 07:05 BST (UK) »
Yes,  thats my thoughts too.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 07:24 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of a document that was shared with me for the marriage of Annie Frances Brown to Frederick Rice on 27 Dec 1876 at Gundagai.
It's a New South Wales Historical Certificate and has a Local Court House Registeration Number 416 of 1876. Particulars filled in are,
When and where married.
Names and surnames of parties.
Rank or profession.
Usual place of residence.
Condition of parties.
Birthplace.
Age in years.
Father's Christian and Surname.
Mother's Christian and Surname.
Father's rank or profession.
Married at.
According to the rights of.
In the presence of us.
At the bottom of the page is a signed declaration that this is a true copy of particulars in a register etc.
Every section has been filled in.
Does this mean that Ann did marry Frederick Rice?

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 07:32 BST (UK) »
What is in the separate columns on that certificate that convinces you that it is Ann SMITH/ BRIGGS/BROWN  not Ann BRYAN/BROWN who married Fred RICE?

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 07:40 BST (UK) »
It confirms that a chap named Ftederick RICE married a lady named Annie BROWN.   

It does not provide any information to suggest if she was the mother of the lad named as Charles Henry BRIGGs and who married in 1876 at Nelsons Plains.

SMITH and BROWN surnames are the two most popular NSW surnames. 

In my view you need to consider spending less than $20 on an official transcription of Charles and Louusa's marriage and investigate from there back to the relevant church register.  Then search out his parentage.   And from there cross match or otherwise to the Randwick papers and the Benevolent papers.

There are many instances of missing records,  especially 1860s and 1870s at NSW bdm.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 07:46 BST (UK) »
Majm, I have already applied for Charles and Louisa's MC, should be here in about a week. I will certainly do as you suggest.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 07:48 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of a document that was shared with me for the marriage of Annie Frances Brown to Frederick Rice on 27 Dec 1876 at Gundagai.
It's a New South Wales Historical Certificate and has a Local Court House Registeration Number 416 of 1876. Particulars filled in are,
When and where married.
Names and surnames of parties.
Rank or profession.
Usual place of residence.
Condition of parties.
Birthplace.
Age in years.
Father's Christian and Surname.
Mother's Christian and Surname.
Father's rank or profession.
Married at.
According to the rights of.
In the presence of us.
At the bottom of the page is a signed declaration that this is a true copy of particulars in a register etc.
Every section has been filled in.
Does this mean that Ann did marry Frederick Rice?

Does it really say " according to the rights of"  ....  and pkease confirm the name of the celebrant conducting the ceremony.

JM...my crooked finger cannot spell.  :'(

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 07:59 BST (UK) »
On the first page it states that the marriage was solemnized by Archibald Smith, District Registrar.

On the second page it states the Marriage was conducted by Arch S Smith according to the rights of  Acts of council 19 Vic.  Nos 30&34.  Officiating minister has been crossed out.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 08:37 BST (UK) »
Does it really use the the spelling
 'rights'  .....  It is citng the NSW marriage Acts nos 30 & 34 of  1855.  I.e. the 19th year of Queen Victorias reign.

I seems to be a registry office marriage,  so not a Reverend conducting a combined civil and church ceremony. If so, there won't be any church record.  So you won't be able to rely on that record to join dots back to the William Briggs who died 1858 using that 1876 marriage.   

On the first page it states that the marriage was solemnized by Archibald Smith, District Registrar.

On the second page it states the Marriage was conducted by Arch S Smith according to the rights of  Acts of council 19 Vic.  Nos 30&34.  Officiating minister has been crossed out.

JM

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 09:07 BST (UK) »
I wrote down the EXACT  wording from the document.
Yes it does say "According to the rites of"  on the left side and (Religion) on the right.
next to that is the wording "Acts of Council 19 Vic. Nos 30 & 34.
I presume it's a civil marriage as there's no minister named. It was conducted at Gundagai.