Author Topic: Charles henry briggs.  (Read 4990 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles henry briggs.
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Are there any other entries on the certificate that identify her as the woman you are searching and no other?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 10:14 BST (UK) »
Only what I have already posted.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 10:21 BST (UK) »
Do you see names of witnesses?.

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Henry Briggs.
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 10:28 BST (UK) »
Witnessed by H. S. Smith and H. L. Norton.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 10:33 BST (UK) »

Do you see any locations/addresses?

Do you see any ages?

Do you see occupations?

Who signs?....who gives their mark?

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 11:01 BST (UK) »
When and where married.                                 27th December 1876.   Gundagai.

Names and surnames of parties.                     Frederick Rice.    Annie Frances Brown.

Rank or profession. (Groom)                            Shepherd.

Usual place of residence.         (Groom) Muttama, Gundagai.       (Bride)  Muttama, Gundagai.

Condition of parties.                (Groom)  Batchelor.                      (Bride)  Widow.

Birthplace.                              (Groom) Liverpool England.  (Bride)  Penrith new South Wales.

Age in years.                         (Groom)  55 years.                (Bride)   44 years.

Father's Christian and Surname.                (Groom)  Frederick Rice.        (Bride)  John Smith.

Mother's Christian and Surname.      (Groom) Catherine Fegan         (Bride)  Sarah Townsend.

Father's rank or profession.              (Groom)  porter.                        (Bride)  Soldier.

Married at    (place)          Gundagai.

According to the rites of       (religion)   Acts of Council 19 Vic. Nos 30 & 34

In the presence of us:   1st witness  H.S. Smith.       2nd witness   H. L. Norton.

By me, (name)  Arch. S. Smith.         Registrar.

Recieved and registered by me, this (date)  27th day of (month) December 1876.
(name)  Archibald Scott Smith      District Registrar.

The area for consent is not filled in as they were both of legal age.

I  Bradley James Warden   certify that the entry above is a true copy of particulars recorded in a register kept by me.
Issued at Gundagai this day 27th of February 1996.  Signature of Local registrar.
                                                                                               bw

That's everything on the document.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 23:26 BST (UK) »
 :D
You may have many hurdles to sort back further than John SMITH, soldier,  but from a quick armchair sweep of indexes I can see at least one ‘candidate’ may be:
 :) Private John SMITH, 3rd Regiment of Foot, 4th & 5th Company, arrived per the Guildford, NSW 25 December 1822. 
 :) Was serving at Fort Dundas, Melville Island departing Sydney on the Countess of Hardcourt 24 August 1824, returning as part of a detachment to NSW some time between 1 November 1824 and 30 April 1825, sick. and was stationed on the sub-continent, at Calcutta from January 1827 to October 1827. 
 :) :) :) See the NSW Col Sec Papers Index re this soldier, and also under the heading ‘Melville Island’.    https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/colonial-secretarys-papers 

A tad further armchair looking :
 :) It seems that a chap named John SMITH originally served in The Buffs, after enlisting at Cork in Ireland for 14 years. 
 :) When the Buffs tour of duty in NSW was concluding, he transferred to the 39th Regiment, into Company 9 and he took his discharge with gratuity in Sydney 30 June 1832.  May I suggest:
Paylists etc should be available via the AJCP see   https://www.nla.gov.au/using-library/research-tools-and-resources/australian-joint-copying-project   Paylists can be useful in determining the marital status and number of children of the soldier based on the pay rate changes etc.  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=829521.0

Also Biographical Database of Australia is a not for profit ongoing indexing project; there is a nominal annual subscription of $38, but you can look at the indexes without any subscription expenses.    https://www.bda-online.org.au/   

I have not looked for Mrs Sarah SMITH (wife of John) or for Ann SMITH born circa 1829, Penrith NSW, but it seems likely to me that Ann would not have been the eldest child of Sarah and John SMITH.  Perhaps they will be listed as a family in the 1828 NSW Census?  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=810812.0

As yet, I cannot see any connection between this Ann who married Frederick RICE and the lass who entered the Benevolent Society’s facilities in 1863. 

May share some off topic issues....
My husband and I are still 'stuck' in Sydney, locked down safely, etc but it is a tad difficult to access my hardcopy folders on SMITH in NSW research across the decades because those records are in our own home, up the coast, also in lockdown.  When we do finally get back to our own home and business, I am sure that our priorities will not include immediately focusing on family history.  Back in early June we had put together several 'dry groceries' packages and driven to ancient rellies in: far western, central western and central tablelands (of NSW) and had continued on to family in Oberon and then drove down the Mountains into Sydney, intending to have a quick stopover.  Yes well that was the week that included June 23,  I say no more.  ::)  I now know how to order groceries, bed linen, etc ONLINE, and to have these items and more delivered 'contactless', oh how I wish I had known how to organise that for all our ancient rellies across NSW back around mid May 2021...   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 00:25 BST (UK) »
Here is some information that indicates an Ann SMITH was likely in the Goulburn district in 1839-1840

A baby boy was born 21 May 1840, no father recorded on the baptism record :
James Evers a natural son of Ann SMITH, a spinster of Towrang, and baptised 13 September 1840, by Rev William Sowerby at St Saviour, C of E, Goulburn.

NSW BDM online index is likely : 1840, Volume 24A,  Line 1346

family search online index: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT6M-7R8

Either this is NOT the same Ann SMITH who married either William BRIGGS or Frederick RICE ....  OR she was NOT aged 10 or even younger when James Evers was conceived.     

Towrang in late 1830s and early 1840s ... it was a small settlement supporting the convicts who were constructing the inland access route from Sydney south to the then new settlement that became Melbourne... https://www.freesettlerorfelon.com/towrang_stockade.html

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 00:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all the help so far but I'm now so confused and doubting everything I have in my tree that I think I will just give it all up.

I now don't know which documents that have in my tree as "safe" and where to go next.

I can't justify the cost of applying for documents for everyone in the tree when I already have many that I thought were correct.

I might have to look for a new interest to keep me sane because this family tree certainly isn't helping!
Sandie.