Author Topic: Charles henry briggs.  (Read 4955 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Charles henry briggs.
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 01:00 BST (UK) »
A Sydney baptism    :D

Ann, a daughter of John and Sarah SMITH, residing at Hyde Park, Sydney.  He is recorded as a Private in the Royal Veteran Corps by Rev Richard Hill, St James C of E, Sydney.  That Ann's date of birth is 13 March 1830 and the date of her baptism is 9 May 1830.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 03:51 BST (UK) »

I had been looking at an Ancestry  tree for the BRIGGS family which had images of several BDM transcriptions.  I cannot see it now.

Can someone direct me to it please.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 04:34 BST (UK) »
 ;D  ;D

I have just now found one, the tree owner has not logged on for at least 3 months.  It has John SMITH 1790 - 1889 and his wife as Sarah HOCKLEY1807-1896, and their daughter Ann (Hannah) F SMITH as 1829-1900.  Ann marries to William Thomas BRIGGS, 1806-1858.  There's an image of their marriage.  Both made X marks.   Ann's next marriage is to George Henry C (Simon) Brown, 4 July 1864, Gunning, - two children, George Henry 17 March 1865, and Catherine 1869, both born Muttama.  That husband dies 23 June 1876.  Ann next marries Frederick Rice.   Ann's father is shown as marrying in NSW 1823 and they note it as BDM 3111/1823 V18233111 3B.  He lived a very long life,  1790 - 1889, his death noted as 8 June 1889, Burwood (NSW).  His wife, Sarah (nee Hockley) her death 27 July 1896 and both burials are noted as Enfield, Burwood municipality, NSW.

Hope that helps you Wivenhoe.

ADD  eliminating this couple John and Sarah SMITH
- St Thomas Cemetery, C of E, Enfield headstones been photographed https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2448410/st.-thomas-anglican-cemetery.   :)  No mention of Ann SMITH as a daughter for that couple.

See photo of headstone showing John and Sarah SMITH and her Hockley family members memorialised on same headstone.   
See https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14060431 smh 29 July 1896.  Funeral Announcement for Sarah Smith, widow of John Smith.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 06:19 BST (UK) »
MJ ......thank you for your assistance. The Ancestry tree that I saw a few days ago had images of several BDM transcriptions, so would seem to be another one.

Sandie...do you, and the other researchers with whom you are working, have a family tree visible to the public eg on Ancestry.

Can you direct me to it.

You do not need a document for every DBM event in the lives of the people you are researching.

Identify a record, and consider why it might be of use to you.  This birth certificate would be useful to you because it is the next recorded event in the life of your Ann, after events at the Sydney Benevolent Asylum and the Randwick Asylum.

It will record previous issue born to this couple.

NSW BDM birth
8691/1865  BROWN George H   parents Simon / Ann F  @  Goulburn

Of the BDM certificates that you have bought, how many do you now consider might be for people other than your family.?  Can you identify them please.

This from you first post -

"Charles was the seventh child, not all still living."

What do you have for the six earlier births?.  What do you have for the death?

Offline CassT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 07:05 BST (UK) »

I had been looking at an Ancestry  tree for the BRIGGS family which had images of several BDM transcriptions.  I cannot see it now.

Can someone direct me to it please.

Hi, depending on how long ago you were looking at the mystery tree, you might be able to find it in your "recent searches in Ancestry".  On ancestry start at "Search"   Below it will show "recent searches" and "+ see more" If you hit the "see more" field up will pop VIEW RECORDS  and RECENT SEARCHES    If you are lucky it might be still there.

Good luck    Cass

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 07:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Cass. I did not succeed with browse of Ancestry, but Google history search found it -

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/173733256/person/322257871460/Gallery?

I am not sure if I am allowed to link to it here.

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 08:34 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if I want to continue with my family tree as I'm so disheartened and confused now but I will answer some questions that have been posted.

I do have a tree on Ancestry but it's not the one you posted a link to. Mine is Surmon and Briggs Family Tree.
John Smith in my tree was a soldier. I have copies of a discharge document and letter about a land grant. I do understand that these may not be correct though.

The six children born before Charles (1858-1929) are,
William 1845-1845.
William Charles 1847-1945.
Betsey 1849-
Thomas J 1851-
Charles Henry 1854-1855.
Alice Sophie Lee 1856-1942.

Which birth certificate are you referring to? You suggested it might be useful as the next event in the life of Ann.
Sandie

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 10:31 BST (UK) »
At your reply #15

"On Charles birth registration in 1858 it states 5 boys and 3 girls living and 1 boy and 1 girl deceased. I can't account for them all."

Are you looking at an image of a hand written document, or a typed transcription?   

The numbers ...3...5...8....can look similar on handwritten records. If you are looking at a transcription it might be the best that the transcriber could manage.  That would make Charles, born 1858, the 11th child of a couple who had been married for 20 years?  Certainly possible.

Most families had a daughter Mary.  You might expect to see Ann/Anne/Annie/Hannah, a daughter named after mother?

Don't be discouraged. We are making good progress. We know there is a son, John, born to Ann after the death of husband Charles BRIGGS, 1858, and before the birth of the BROWN children.

I think the purpose of your original enquiry has been achieved. The Randwick Asylum record is for your Charles BRIGGS, and has led to additional information about Ann BRIGGS and her children.

If pursing this line of enquiry has caused you to reconsider other details on your family tree, see that as a bonus, and I am sure that the forum sleuths here will help you to construct an accurate family tree.

I am thinking that the 1865 birth for George Henry BROWN would be useful to see.

The images of records held by Sydney Benevolent Asylum will be interesting to see when you get them. Are they sending you images of the original records?

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 11:24 BST (UK) »
I can't see a birth for George H Brown, 1865 or his sister Catherine/Katherine 1865  on the N.S.W.BMD.
They were both mentioned in Thomas J Briggs (1928) death in newspaper as his step-brother and step-sister.

On Charles Briggs birth, it's a hand-written entry.
I'm still certain it's 5 boys and 2 girls living.  3 boys deceased.  I compared the number 3 with another 3 on the document.

Ann and William Briggs were married in 1848 so 10 and not 20 years.

Ann's death document says William Charles, Thomas J, Alice S L  and Charles, living ( gives their ages)  1 male and 1 female deceased. 
It also says she was 15 when first married (to William Briggs)
This is a typed transcription.

I don't know what the entries from the Asylum will look like, they didn't say.

I've also wondered what happened to Ann's older children when she took the younger one's into the Asylum. William C would have been about 15-16 and Thomas J only about 12.
I suppose they could have already been working for someone or living with relatives. Perhaps Ann had siblings.
  However I don't need to start worrying about them just now.

Sandie.