Author Topic: Charles henry briggs.  (Read 4995 times)

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles henry briggs.
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 10:34 BST (UK) »
Continuing on with William Briggs.
His death certificate states he was 53 when he died on 25 Dec 1858.
The burial entry says 52 years.
Born in London.  33 years in the colony. ( on death cert)
Death cert also says he married in 1842. Australia marriage Index says 1848.
I had presumed he was a convict but now not sure. If he had been in the colony for 33 years (approx.) then he would have arrived in Australia in either 1825 or 1826.
Is there a way of confirming whether he was a convict or free settler and if so, when and  what ship did he sail on?
Sandie.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 11:00 BST (UK) »
Passenger lists .... not the easiest to find for 1825 or 26 or 27 to NSW, and if arriving as a soldier .... or a supercargo or steerage.... likely you were not even named on any official document ... ... IF transported, you were well documented on convict indents.  Even if you came as a cabin passenger you may be Mr A. SURNAME,  but no native place, often only an initial for given name.... 

From around 1828, NSW government admin started to keep better details on passengers arriving, as more land was surveyed, and thus able to be settled ....

NSW 1828 census should have status GS for Government Servant still serving a sentence,  or FS if free by servitude .... or CF if came free (whether as garrison  or of own accord passenger) or BC if birn in the colony...

Trove newspapers will have names of ships arriving VDL and NSW ... 1828 census with have ships of arrival for all not born in colony  :)

From about 1818, ships transporting female convicts did not carry male convicts on same voyage, but all convict ships had garrison troops on board, you only learn name of sailor or garrison personnel IF they are found to have onboard relationship with female convict .... with or without consent of female, and only if it becomes public knowledge ... e.g. sailor jumps ship to stay with his lass....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Here is a link to the journal of the Surgeon for the voyage of the England in 1826.

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-1597158592/view

Its reel 3195 from NSW State Archives.   That's likely the voyage that your William BRIGGS was transported on.   

ADD https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=853818.0   someone else interested in William.   :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Sandiehawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Monday 15 November 21 23:36 GMT (UK) »
At last I have the information from the Sydney Benevolent Asylum concerning Alice, Charles and John Briggs.  There is very little more on the original documents than what is on the printed document that I got a couple of months ago.

On the admission entry on 4 Oct 1863 it states "Lately from Goulburn where her husband died better than three years ago"  Rev A H Stephen.

13 Nov 1863. Absconded. Allowed out. Got drunk. Was put in the Watch-house. Ann Briggs and child John.

14 Nov 1863. The entry reads "Thrown over the fence by the mother"

Ann Smith's three older children were 16, 14 and 12 years old when Ann and the three youngest were taken to the Benevolent home so I presume they may already have been working.

I know very little about Betsey Briggs b 1849. There's a death notice for an Elizabeth Archibald ( Briggs ) in Jan 1884. Betsey was still living in 1858 because she is named in her father's will.

Also nothing much is known of John apart from the items in the newspapers from Charles asking for any information about him.

All of Ann's children apart from John are mentioned in her death certificate dated 1900.

Sandie.