Author Topic: Bit of help using Familysearch please!  (Read 934 times)

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Ask now! Tomorrow might be too late....
    • View Profile
Bit of help using Familysearch please!
« on: Saturday 11 September 21 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.

I've only recently started using the Familysearch tree as I saw a YouTube video showing a possible way to break down a brick wall or two. As seeing my ancestors as part of a world tree, it recommended seeing if they were on there already and the possibility of another researcher maybe having found a piece of evidence I didnt could open things up.

Although anything I see online I take with pinch of salt, I could in theory then research what they've found myself and either accept or most likely discard as rubbish!

Problem is, I started constructing my tree and things were going well. I added a great uncle, and lots of ancestors opened up. After going through them checking all the vitals, it was all correct apart from a slight typing error which could happen to anyone!

I entered another ancestor and yet more ancestors became visible, and to my shock were all correct!

I was very impressed by this as it saved me from adding all this information myself.

I entered another ancestor and found that the match it was giving was correct, but their mother was listed as someone completely wrong.

After accidentally pressing YES I now can't delete the mother as its been done by other people.

I cant find any way to remove this ancestor and its really annoying that my tree is wrong and cant do anything about it.

Anyone else had this issue and what to do about it?

Thank you.
David.
Northants - Stevenson, Smith, Spriggs, Hight, Dodson, Coleman
Swansea - Thomas, Williams, Howell, David, Rees, Griffiths, Jenkins, Bevan
Rutland - Hales
Derbyshire - Harlow, Riley, Pemberton, Aldred
Yorkshire - Stamper, Boyes, Duke
London - Harper, Wallis
Essex - Shelford, Wallis, Read, Stanes
Hertfordshire - Bishop
Cornwall - Johns, Soper, Rowe, Ball, Webb, Dunn, Quintrell, Hain, Oliver
Gloucestershire - Harper, Ash, Gregory, Denman
County Durham - Proud, Duke
Yorkshire - Stamper, Pickering

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bit of help using Familysearch please!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 September 21 19:46 BST (UK) »
Have a read of the below and see if that helps you to make your corrections.  I don't put any of my family trees online so I have no experience of adding, subtracting or correcting any ancestors details.

https://www.familysearch.org/help/helpcenter/article/how-do-i-change-vital-information-in-family-tree
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 September 21 19:59 BST (UK) »
On the details tab of the person you want  to amend, if you scroll to the bottom of the page there should be a pen/page logo beside the persons name.  If you click on it you can amend or remove. Any amendments and deletions are recorded at the side of the details page.

As I understand it, trees on Family Search can be altered and amended by anyone who uses the website, as they are part one big tree. I haven't put a tree on Family Search but I have made additions and comments to trees already there.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 September 21 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have my tree on familysearch. I sometimes find errors, some ridiculous, if I have evidence that disproves what has been entered I will alter the entry, and then enter the source for the correct entry. Entering sources for the entries is very important as this is your evidence for the correction.
Ray

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 September 21 23:44 BST (UK) »
I dont really want to change any info, just remove the person as my ancestors. Someone has listed another 30 or so generations and by the looks of it has made the data fit for their purpose.

Utterly ridiculous garbage including having a child at 85 etc.

Want to keep all the stuff I did and checked by disassociate everything else. Dont want to delete it as it belongs to someone else. Whether right or wrong, they have spent the time to input the data. And as far as im concerned the can do the corrections. Just want the link severed.
Rutland - Hales
London - Harper, Wallis
Hertfordshire - Bishop

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 September 21 00:52 BST (UK) »
Once you work it out I suggest you let the other people involved know what you are doing and why.

It's what I do when I'm correcting/editing there.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 September 21 09:02 BST (UK) »
I dont really want to change any info, just remove the person as my ancestors. Someone has listed another 30 or so generations and by the looks of it has made the data fit for their purpose.

Utterly ridiculous garbage including having a child at 85 etc.

Want to keep all the stuff I did and checked by disassociate everything else. Dont want to delete it as it belongs to someone else. Whether right or wrong, they have spent the time to input the data. And as far as im concerned the can do the corrections. Just want the link severed.

Does it belong to someone else?  I thought the whole point of family search trees was that they belong to everybody but nobody in particular as all can participate.

By deleting the stuff that has attached itself to your tree wouldn't you be doing everyone a favour by getting rid of incorrect detail so that others aren't tempted to reproduce it.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Vasquez109

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 September 21 12:38 BST (UK) »
Maybe delete it is the wrong choice of words. Detach from my correct information might be better.

David.
Rutland - Hales
London - Harper, Wallis
Hertfordshire - Bishop

Offline fhtess1165

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://writingmypast.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 September 21 15:26 BST (UK) »
Just to note that the FamilySearch Family Tree is a communal world tree, so you were adding to it, not creating your own tree on the site like you would at Ancestry or FindMyPast. At any time, someone can change what you've added. The FSFT is a great place to help the genealogy community by adding your line (with sources) or to get hints, but it's not ideal for building the only copy of your tree.

You may already be aware of this, but I figured I'd mention it, just in case.

Teresa

<SNIP>
Problem is, I started constructing my tree and things were going well. I added a great uncle, and lots of ancestors opened up. After going through them checking all the vitals, it was all correct apart from a slight typing error which could happen to anyone!

I entered another ancestor and yet more ancestors became visible, and to my shock were all correct!

I was very impressed by this as it saved me from adding all this information myself.

I entered another ancestor and found that the match it was giving was correct, but their mother was listed as someone completely wrong.

After accidentally pressing YES I now can't delete the mother as its been done by other people.

I cant find any way to remove this ancestor and its really annoying that my tree is wrong and cant do anything about it.

Anyone else had this issue and what to do about it?
<SNIP>
Spong, Taylor, Ferdinando, Lawley, Cox, Sinkins, Morris, Sidney, Keel, Montgomery, Barlow, Izzard, Pearce, Warboys, River, Sherrell, White, Beake