Author Topic: GRO Records contents  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRO Records contents
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 September 21 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jebber,
I shall take a look.

Maybe it might be useful to also see what the relevant Local Registry Office has.
 The documents look just like someone had type in the information from some sort of source document.
Thank you again
Essnell.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 September 21 08:24 BST (UK) »
Be cautious of GRO certificates you see attached to people's Ancestry trees. Some time ago I was involved in a thread where someone was adamant that an English birth certificate contained the date of birth and parentage of the baby's father. It transpired that the poster had not purchased their own copy of the certificate from the GRO but relied on one uploaded to an Ancestry tree. The tree owner had annotated the certificate with details they thought to be correct before uploading. (If memory serves me correct, even the father's name was not on the original certificate, so it may not have been the true father). Those unfamiliar with the content of English /Welsh certificates could easily be misled into thinking that these details were typically included.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 September 21 08:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jebber,
I shall take a look.

Maybe it might be useful to also see what the relevant Local Registry Office has.
 The documents look just like someone had type in the information from some sort of source document.
Thank you again
Essnell.

In my experience of purchasing certificates from local ROs, a clerk transcribes the information onto a standard form from the original register entry, not even a copy of the register entry. Last time I used a local RO instead of GRO was around 10 years ago for 1950s deaths so they may have progressed to a typewriter now. There would be no difference in the information than that on a Certificate from the GRO.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 September 21 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jebber,
I shall take a look.

Thank you again
Essnell.

Even if you are able to get a photo copy of the original entry from the local RO,  on birth and death certificates you will see exactly the same information as the copy from the GRO, except you will see the signature of the informant. There will be no extra information.

Prior to the digitising of the records, any copy from the GRO would be a handwritten or typed copy. The pdfs are at least a digital copy of the entry.

I should add,  now everything is computerised you don’t even see the signature on certificates. The certificates I have for recent deaths I have had to register, the certificate doesn’t show my signature, Just the printed information.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 September 21 09:31 BST (UK) »
HI Everyone,
Thank you all for taking time to explain the GRO Death Cert info. 

I will have to find another way to identify a dead persons parentage.   

Cheers All and many thanks.
Essnell.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 September 21 09:41 BST (UK) »
Provided you don't give the names of living people, why not post the name and information you have on the person you are trying to research. There are many people on here who will probably be willing to help. It is surprising what Rootschat members can uncover when the odds look remote.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 September 21 12:37 BST (UK) »
In my experience of purchasing certificates from local ROs, a clerk transcribes the information onto a standard form from the original register entry, not even a copy of the register entry. Last time I used a local RO instead of GRO was around 10 years ago for 1950s deaths so they may have progressed to a typewriter now. There would be no difference in the information than that on a Certificate from the GRO.

That's not always the case.  Some local register offices provide a scan of the original entry, which can be extremely useful if there are signatures.  And of course you can judge for yourself if there has been a mistranscription in the index or the GRO copy. 

Some years back I started a thread for people to list what kind of copies they were getting from local ROs.  I thought it would be a useful reference tool, but sadly it was closed by a moderator for no good reason and sank without trace.   >:(

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=441803.0
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 September 21 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jebber,
Thankyou for being so kind and thoughtful as is everyone else.  This time I actually don't need to have the chasing done. I would have asked if it was required and I have had heaps of amazing help from Rootschatters in the past. 

I have the birth info and marriage info and on the PDF is the spouse's name so I will be able to connect them together. Added to that the address matches the 1939 register.  So all good.

So ,yes, no parents on Death Certs from England.

Sloe Gin.  Well that's what I was thinking about the local RO's .  I still might give it a go. you never know what night turn up. 

Cheers Essnell

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 12 September 21 13:31 BST (UK) »

That's not always the case.  Some local register offices provide a scan of the original entry, which can be extremely useful if there are signatures.  And of course you can judge for yourself if there has been a mistranscription in the index or the GRO copy. 

Lucky to get a scan, admittedly my Local RO experience is limited to an RO  in Staffordshire and several certificates for the same office in Hertfordshire.
Interestingly the cert from Staffs had more information than the certificate that the couple took home after their marriage. The bride's age was missing from their copy - evidently a mistake by the vicar.