Author Topic: Huttons of greenside Edinburgh  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Nzinga8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huttons of greenside Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 12 September 21 23:47 BST (UK) »
Yes that’s how I identified her parents as John and Maggie. It’s been a brutal long road but I’m determined to push on.
Yes that would be my ancestry tree, I have put James and Mary as John’s parents. I can’t find James on anything before he has married or had kids.

It shows david as being born in Motherwell Lanarkshire I didn’t notice that before. It’s also shows John telfer Hutton as being a blacksmith, coal cutter machine worker. Iv hit a brick wall with James Hutton.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 September 21 23:48 BST (UK) »
Acquire a original copy of David's death registration it will show you who his parents were.  There is no shortcut.

Margaret died 1886 Falkirk her parents were Thomas Telfer (Blacksmith) and Margaret Smith.  Charles Hutton, son was the informant.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Nzinga8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 13 September 21 10:04 BST (UK) »
Yeah the amount of death certificates Iv had to buy so far is unreal but I suppose it’s the only way to get the info you need. Thank you so much, I’ll get the certificate today.

Thank you to everyone else who has posted and helped it’s greatly appreciated.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 September 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
Can't see the marriage as yet...nor births in Ireland for their children up to Janet's birth there c.1900-1.

All birth years approx as no birth certs found yet for them.

I couldn't find a birth registration for Janet in Ireland, nor for David but I see now that David seems to have been born in Scotland. I searched a couple of years either side of approximate birth year. There was a Jennie Hutton but father's name not John.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en
Birth registrations to 1920 are free to search and view.   
Cowban

Offline Nzinga8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 September 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
I actually called the registrars office in belfast but they had no record of Christina’s birth either. Could it be they registered the birth through the church but not with the official records? I know when I looked for James and Mary Guthrie marriage I couldnt find it in the statutory records however found it in church records.

Thank you so much I’ll have a look at that site.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 September 21 13:23 BST (UK) »
I actually called the registrars office in belfast but they had no record of Christina’s birth either. Could it be they registered the birth through the church but not with the official records? I know when I looked for James and Mary Guthrie marriage I couldnt find it in the statutory records however found it in church records.

Thank you so much I’ll have a look at that site.

Births in Ireland were registered at local district registry offices. Nothing to do with a church.
Civil registration of births began in Ireland 1864. The Irish Genealogy website in my previous reply is essential for Irish BMDs. Coverage is for the whole country until the Partition of Ireland in 1921.

When was the marriage of James Hutton & Mary Guthrie?  Civil registration began in Scotland in 1855.
Cowban

Offline Nzinga8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 September 21 14:23 BST (UK) »
Their marriage was 1847 in paisley. It’s doesn’t list either of their parents names though. I’ll keep checking.
Maggie is buried in Ireland as is John, I will try and obtain both death certificates as see if they have any more info on them however I fear that they might just contain cause of death etc as Christina’s death certificate doesn’t give us any other info other than the day she died and what was the cause.

Yeah I had a look at the website you posted the link for and can’t really find anything either, Maggie was 64 when she died in 1929 so estimated her birth as 1864 or 65.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 September 21 20:44 BST (UK) »
Irish death certs unfortunately won't provide any further details re parents for John and Maggie.

John's 1915 death reg https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1915/05283/4467968.pdf

I can't see Margaret's death on there with the details you gave (1929, aged 64).

If you haven't used this site before, just tick the recaptcha box and add your name and tick to view the image.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 September 21 20:58 BST (UK) »
I actually called the registrars office in belfast but they had no record of Christina’s birth either.

What maiden name did you give the registrar's office for the search? You have mentioned that Maggie's maiden name was McIntyre, but this was Christina's middle name. Maggie's maiden name from Christina's marriage and Louisa's death in 1908 is Hamill or Hamilton.

I have just found daughter Louisa's birth reg under the surname of TELFER, mother HAMILL. See image here https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1899/02054/1786088.pdf

Daughter Janet's registration from 1901 https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1901/01957/1755551.pdf

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk